UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kiteland
Originally Posted by John57' timestamp='1308225785' post='20688254
This problem with the later cars is a shame ...

That an interesting comment and for me highlights a future issue for HUK, Dealers and Owners. This isn’t a problem for all 09 cars and in the case of those cars where HUK have acknowledged the issue - the car has been fixed. Mine is back on road and running better than ever.

I wouldn’t not buy and 09 especially now that I know what to look out for.

I realise not all 09 cars have the problem ... infact I am sure the vast majority of the cars are completely fine. Sadly though the effect it had on me was I didn't want to take the chance and stopped looking as a result.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin_Chase
I can create those kind of noises in my 2006 between 2000 and 2.5k RPM.

I have always put it down to the valve train and engine in general not being the most refined/smoothest of units but should I be worried? No it's not an 09 car but the metallic sound is definitely audible.
Sin Chase, that will be the v-tec hamster tapping his foot waiting to be called into action

Seriously though, the noise 09 owners complain of is a very tinny faint metallic rattle

It sounds almost like a loose heatshield or even a bit like pinking

I wouldn't worry
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM

[/quote]
Seriously though, the noise 09 owners complain of is a very tinny faint metallic rattle

It sounds almost like a loose heatshield or even a bit like pinking
[/quote]

That's it exactly. They thought mine was heat shield and replaced the back box under warranty but just driving it off the forecourt I could still hear it!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
.... the noise 09 owners complain of is a very tinny faint metallic rattle

It sounds almost like a loose heatshield .....
Thats the sound
Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB
Are S2KUK lobbying HUK on this ? Surely this is the kind of issue where the club ought to be stepping up.
Originally Posted by Bassoctopus
It is, but they won't be. Just like suspension bushes I'm afraid.

One of the reasons I have not renewed this year.

Very happy for the club to do so, and think it would be a great idea, both this and a couple of other things.

We need someone to volunteer to lead the initiative. I am happy to help with this, but do not have the time to do this on my own with everything else I am doing.

What people need to remember is that "The Club" is everyone who is a member, not 1, 2 or 5 people, it relies on volunteers to step up and help.

Neil, you are incorrect... the club did try with the bushes issue, but the letters sent fell on deaf ears, and it required persistence from the club, which unfortunately did not happen.

Since then S2KUK does seem to have a better relationship and more communication with Honda (UK).

If anyone wants to step up and help, it would be great to hear from you - just email the club address, so it doesn't get missed here.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM

That sounds fair enough, but why don't you (as top banana) start the ball rolling ?

I've already compiled some information should I need to use it

A simple email from you to Steve Dyer asking what he knows of the issue would suffice for now
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To undertake a proper check this will involve removing the sump.

Despite make the noise mine came back within tolerance (but only just) with no debris in the sump so was authorised for thrust washer replacement. Another much higher mileage car that was in at the same time had a full short motor replacement. It a pity that car wasn’t identified earlier. It’s been widely posted elsewhere on the forum stories from other owners.

Erm,can the thrust washers be replaced from underneath with the sump removed?Iv got a Supercharger on my 09 with 5000 miles on it and I think Honda might have a meltdown if they saw that.I dont mind doing the work myself,infact I would sooner do the work myself.I knew about this situation when I fitted the supercharger and excepted that I might have to fit a replacement engine,but prevention is better than cure,plus I could remove the S/C and put it back to standard in a day.Any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
Erm,can the thrust washers be replaced from underneath with the sump removed?
Yes but your need to take the gear box out also to get manoeuvring room I understand.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiteland
Originally Posted by mr-pitts' timestamp='1308290561' post='20691751

Erm,can the thrust washers be replaced from underneath with the sump removed?
Yes but your need to take the gear box out also to get manoeuvring room I understand.
Thanks,I might have a look at doing that this winter,Somebody posted up some engine numbers which were affected and mine was around 500 units outside the 2 extremes...It could be OK,but it could not.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:30 AM

Ian I am willing to assist where I can but like you and a majority of people on here have a lot on. You are the Chairman / Spokesman for the club and so feel that this should fall to you to start the ball rolling. Case of taking the rough with the smooth

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners