UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 08-01-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Do you have to pick an argument with everything ?

Not in the same way as bearings which are shaped to be load bearing. Thrust washers cannot take much load (in comparison)

If you want to argue then start another thread in car talk to save spamming this one

Edit; fester, that is aimed at lower, not you
I'm not trying to pick an arguement at all. But the thrust washers are there to take the axial loads on the crank, primarily from the clutch release bearing. The loads are are lot smaller than the big end or main bearings and are more variable, but ultimately their sole purpose is to take the axial loads on the crank.

If there is an issue with the thrust washers wearing prematurely, as i said earlier in the thread, its likely that the thrust washers are defective in some way or there is a machining issue with the block or crank that means that they are taking more load than they should.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny that, with the second part of your post (I'll try not to make a habit of it )

Block or crank.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Senna fan
I certainly won't risk my money on a product that it's manufacturer won't support with a credible warranty.
Dont blame you - its a real shame

My wife was considering a CRV - not any more

Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Warranty is not worth a carrot if replacement engines are defective and there are a few people who have experienced that

If this is not sorted soon (read as imminently) I have a plan

It will not be pretty but I will make my point and it will be difficult (impossible) for Honda to ignore

As far as I am concerned they have had enough time to sort this

PS Anyone waiting for the diagnosis of Bokkie's car may be disappointed. It may be an altogether different issue. eggs/ one basket= daft
Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
jsh

You need any help count me in .
Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 AM

Reading above... Honda UK are focusing their energies on "b" and not "a" where....

a/ Rattling issue
b/ Newly discovered metal on metal noise issue

As "a" has been a concern for 2+ years with a number of owners affected - shouldn't this be their priority?
or has the newly discovered "b" Top Trumped "a".
and if so - Why?

what is HUK's clear statement on "a" ?

Or is Bundle of Mayhem and everyone else up shit creek?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Loofah
Not completely but I suspect a group of us will be outlaying some funds for a party action against HUK.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Reading above... Honda UK are focusing their energies on "b" and not "a" where....

a/ Rattling issue

As "a" has been a concern for 2+ years with a number of owners affected - shouldn't this be their priority?
and if so - Why?

Simple answer is Bokkie ia a customer who has experienced a number of problems with her car so HUK are now paying attention TO HER, and deservedly so

Does that help anyone else ? Not necessarily. It sounds like it may be a different issue.

Honda's stance concerning the rattle, to my knowledge, has not changed. If the crank is borderline tolerance fit new thrust washers. This "fix" does not work according to owners who have reported back on the forum. The fact that HUK recommend this is a big clue as to what is actually wrong with the engines though.

If you have "the noise" you will likely be told "it is a characteristic of the vehicle". Which is laughable in my opinion. I have listened to some of the affected cars and it is obvious something is wrong.

So, NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

Legal action is fine BUT owners will most likely have to employ a respected and well known engineer diagnose the issue. A back street garage will not suffice and neither will opinions. Lawyers deal with facts, not speculation. And experts cost money, legal or otherwise.
All of this takes time

Maybe a more direct approach is needed
Old 08-04-2011, 02:55 PM
P 1

a/ Rattling issue

and if so - Why?

My thoughts exactly.

Bokkie's car has already had a considerable amount of work carried out to various components and is now exibiting a new and different noise.

There have been so many changes to Bokkie's car since manufacture that this will hamper Honda's ability to diagnose the root cause of problem.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
we have sought advice from a consumer group and will be taking this legal.

Try spamming the press and see if you can get anyone to take an interest ...... 'Top Gear Top Car is a POS'

Honda might start to take a bit of notice.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners