UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of a friend is a producer at the BBC and has, on occasion, worked on Top Gear

It's an option (final resort)
Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Watchdog? Probably not. They WGAF about a small group of petrolheads. Although maybe possibly in conjunction with some green/populist Honda campaign i.e. they are saying 'this' in publicity while doing 'that'.

Is there any proof that this is a deliberate cost minimisation exercise, with a warehouse of known faulty new engines set aside, enough to see out all the warranty periods?

Anyone know a disgruntled ex Honda UK employee with a grudge, or maybe an existing employee who wants to leave their mark?

"Don't get mad, get even"...
Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe join forces with the Civic guys on cifinfo as there is plenty probs there as well with not just civics but crv jazz etc
Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by SideWaysOnFire
Maybe join forces with the Civic guys on cifinfo as there is plenty probs there as well with not just civics but crv jazz etc
It's a good idea but aside from rusty doors, dashboard rattles and iffy clutches on the civic and dodgy window switches on the Jazz (which may catch fire) I don't think the issues are similar

I wonder if one of the later S2000'S fails catastrophically and someone is injured as a result how big that lawsuit may be

Bearing in mind (no pun intended) Honda know of the issues and are doing nothing about it (blank cheque anyone ?)
Old 07-22-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven’t posted on this thread recently as I wanted to wait until I had something definite to say.

Although my car had thrust washers replaced as I posted earlier, the rattle did return after 200 miles. It has continued to get worse.

This was investigated by my dealer and the end float was found to be with Honda tolerance. This was escalated to HUK again.

I am advised that the engine rattle investigation has now been picked and is being investigated by Honda Japan. I understand Honda Japan have now had returned to them a number of engines (full and short) along with other components for investigation.

My warranty claim is now on hold until the result of this investigation is complete.

Putting aside the comments made about HUK (some of which is justified) and Mr Dyers handling of owners I take Honda Japan’s involvement as a positive in getting towards a resolution on this issue.

Lets wait and see what Honda Japan says……
Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Indeed, sounds positive if Japan are engaged. Let's see what happens....
Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Thanks Kiteland! I still have my car and will await more info before trying to sell it!! The outcome may persuade me to keep it!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1311272490' post='20801959
They've probably run a six sigma analysis & concluded it's cheaper to replace explodey engines as they occur until they're out of warranty.

They can then forget about the whole sorry S2000 saga once & for all.
Which is fine, engines fail and sh1t happens

However IF Honda are knowingly dispatching defective engines as replacements

It isn't
Well, six sigma probably tells them most of the engines shouldn't prove defective. Within the warranty period, at least...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiteland
I haven’t posted on this thread recently as I wanted to wait until I had something definite to say.

Although my car had thrust washers replaced as I posted earlier, the rattle did return after 200 miles. It has continued to get worse.

This was investigated by my dealer and the end float was found to be with Honda tolerance. This was escalated to HUK again.

I am advised that the engine rattle investigation has now been picked and is being investigated by Honda Japan. I understand Honda Japan have now had returned to them a number of engines (full and short) along with other components for investigation.

My warranty claim is now on hold until the result of this investigation is complete.

Putting aside the comments made about HUK (some of which is justified) and Mr Dyers handling of owners I take Honda Japan’s involvement as a positive in getting towards a resolution on this issue.

Lets wait and see what Honda Japan says……

TFFT!

It's really difficult to get an accurate picture from a limited sample space, but it sounds like Honda has realised it is a real issue & something bad is going down and really need to do something about it.

TBF, the Jazz window switches were way overblown. I've not heard the litany of rusting Civs with funny clutches; I knew there were a few clutch issues, though. And R18s cracking up.

Crap by Honda standards, but still pretty good by everyone elses, in fact. But Honda really needs NOT to have explodey engines - fast.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda - the new Toyota. That would be bad.

I think it’s fair to say that Honda are now taking it seriously. This is good.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners