UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's gotta be off-spec bearings, or improperly nitrided cranks; one bearing has a 'side' that controls end-float. Unless oil specs have changed over the decade.

I've not seen exactly what's gone wrong (HOnda confiscates the engines) but it's a question that irritates my mind.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sorry it's taken me this long to spot this thread and post up (I've not been on here very much of late). And I'm ever so sorry to learn how many other folks have been affected by this blight of failed engines.

P1 and Kiteland I've tried to reply to your PMs but was unable to send - have you cleared your inboxes down? Please send me another PM if you need any further info/assistance.

I've taken the info from Kiteland's post of 20 June, corrected the mileage for my 2nd engine and included the additional work done on my car. The reason I've dropped this in is that I have questioned whether the short engine work had a knock-on impact to gearbox and clutch (which may be of interest to some).

FAILED ENGINES

Gaspode F20C2 1090153 failed at 8k

Bokkie (on 3rd engine) F20C2 1080571 failed at 10k, F20C2 01009009 failed at 20k, current engine F20C2 0109062 is on 7k, car has also had replacement of premature gear linkage, 3rd gear synchroniser, gearbox bearings (including up the driveshaft) and clutch kit

S2kstar (on 3rd engine) F20C2 1080786 mileage unknown, F20C2 0109067 mileage unknown

Elijah (on 3rd engine) F20C2 1080681 failed at 9k, F20C2 0108020 failed at 22k

Longpig (on 3rd engine) F20C2 1080828 failed at 7k, F20C2 0108020 failed at 9k

Neil engine number unknown failed at 19k

Kiteland (crankshaft thrust washers replaced) Engine number to TBC failed at 2500k

Anonymous_1 via Kiteland; Owner not aware of what fix applied.

Another car is currently at Southport Honda having an engine replacement (posted by S2knut), failed at 19k

Another car was at Kiteland's dealer having an engine replacement while his was there, failed at mileage mid teens

I have spoken to Bristol Honda who confirmed they have performed engine replacements on 5 cars

Mileage quoted is on the engine and not on the car

P1; car being investigated

Gregsterwiz; car being investigated

Anonymous_2 via Kiteland; car being investigated - mileage mid teens.

Bundle of Mayhem - repeated noise investigated similar to that reported by everyone else. Back box replaced Sept 2010, same issue. Engine No: F20C21090188. Current mileage 33k
Old 07-05-2011, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I have mentioned I am fitting a fully forged engine in my 09 car,for 2 reasons 1,so I dont have to deal with arrogant suits from Honda who know what the problem is but would have to spend some money if they were to come clean.(its never ever going to happen)But its fine for you me and every other 09 owner to spend their own money,time and time again,just as long as the greedy baskets dont upset the shareholders.the other reason is so I can wind the boost up on the supercharger.
The reason I am telling this again is whilst making enquires about said forged engine I did hear something interesting.The person I was talking to put a supercharger on an 04 Civic which I understood had a standard unsplit engine in it.After a short period of time it was found to have excesive end float(does that sound familiar?)it turned out that the thrust washers had been fitted at the factory the wrong way around,causing excesive wear on the crank.Mmmm,this maybe something or nothing but worth considering when end float is checked.Hope this is of some help.Getting an independent to check this and then shoving your findings and the engine up Hondas arse may not only give immense satisfaction but might also make them come clean,if this is in fact the case.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:05 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
The person I was talking to put a supercharger on an 04 Civic which I understood had a standard unsplit engine in it.After a short period of time it was found to have excesive end float(does that sound familiar?)it turned out that the thrust washers had been fitted at the factory the wrong way around,causing excesive wear on the crank.Mmmm,this maybe something or nothing but worth considering when end float is checked
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/876...t__p__20728046

Have a read of the links there regarding thrust washers and their incorrect fitment and the problems that it causes.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Update: Ian has contacted S2KUK members and details have started coming in. Currently putting a spreadsheet together.

However there are people on the list that I don't believe are members of S2KUK and so I've sent them PM's from here on Ian's behalf. If you think you are one of the 'death rattle gang' then please contact me and I'll send you the PM
Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

is is it 12 engines in total?
form how many 2009's sold?

it would be interesting to see final stattistics.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:14 AM

More than 12 as people that aren't on the forum have responded to the club email.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And then there's the people that aren't members of either the forum nor s2kuk.... and there's plenty of those!

Most of the s2ks I spot have some old folk in it that dont even look up at the sight of mine... they just drive the car for what it is and I bet they never even heard of an owners club.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Once we have all responses I'll work out some stats on problems vs total 09s registered with S2KUK
Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 AM
P 1

I've just had word from the dealer that my car is ready to collect.

First stage investigation revealed crankshaft end float outside standard/new/manufacturing tolerance and at the very limit of service tolerance.
Second stage investigation revealed no swarf and nothing that required replacement of anything other than thrust washers.
Honda approved fitting of replacement thrust washers and I am advised that the noise has now gone.
The mileage on my car is c.2,700 miles.

My experience with the dealer and their interaction with Honda UK in the above process has been very good and they have my thanks

I am however bemused by the fact that some cars which are apparently making "the noise" are found to be within tolerance when checked, yet at the same time the noise is disappearing when end float is brought back into tolerance with new thrust washers. All very confusing.

I do hope that Honda can arrive at a definite diagnosis and that the efforts the club are going to to collate information will help solve this issue which is clearly worrying a good number of owners.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners