UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I think what you really need to do is to get every 09 owner you know to start emailing in en-masse literally swamp him and his team with communication so that it cannot be ignored. Emails. Phone calls. Faxes. Written letters.

Even if that means getting in touch with dealers and having them email in your behalf - they're franchises, they'd actually benefit from the work that WILL stem from this.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
I think what you really need to do is to get every 09 owner you know to start emailing in en-masse literally swamp him and his team with communication so that it cannot be ignored. Emails. Phone calls. Faxes. Written letters.

Even if that means getting in touch with dealers and having them email in your behalf - they're franchises, they'd actually benefit from the work that WILL stem from this.

Yep, good idea

In my experience what generally happens in situations like this is these types of large organizations close ranks, try to minimise communication, drag things out, generally try to wear you down and just hope people become dispondent and forget about it

Won't happen here

Although I am very vocal on this thread others are contributing to the effort
Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Could someone with good literary skills maybe create a template document(or documents for email, post, and fax?) we could all copy and send to Honda, possibly one for those who've experienced the problem, and another for those of us lucky not to have the "death rattle" yet.?
Thinking we should have kept our 06my instead of upgrading to new car thinking it would last as long as we wanted a ragtop,
Old 06-28-2011, 05:31 PM

I love the thought of 'en-masse' but that really doesn't describe the sale number of S2000's in the last couple of years does it.. For the amount of cars sold I have to wonder if Honda UK would even give a damn!
Of course I would love to think they do .. but although I seriously adore my car I keep on thinking (every few months in the last 9) of selling it purely due to all of the reported problems with the latter cars.

I don't think I will, but tbe reaction from HUK has me seriously considering it - whilst the car is still worth something !

Given that I think it the best car I have owned and I can't think of owning anything better I think this is just a sad state of affairs to be in.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that the amount of people that are aware of the problem are pretty much confined to this forum,if you look at the prices on Autotrader they are quite good for low milage 09 cars so obviously people "out there" dont know about the problem.I think Lovegrove hit the nail on the head,with such small numbers sold if they put out a recall they might end up with a snowball effect like Toyota had a couple of years ago.I think those that are going to get rid need to do it soon,if you receive the same response from Honda Japan that I got off Harley Davidson USA when my gearbox went bang on my 6 week old 1400 mile Road King you will be lucky to get a reply to your email,I didnt.
The only way out that I can see is to replace the engine from an older model,I imagine Honda will be thinking along the same lines...if they bury there heads for 5 years(which no doubt they will) then the problem has gone away,and most of the owners of 09s will have got fed up and moved on.Its a depressing thought but it seems to me there only way out.
I would put a lot of money on the fact that Honda already know what the problem is,I have accepted the fact that mine WILL go bang and as much as it pains me I still want to keep the car for good.I stated in earlier posts what my intentions are,I cannot imagine having another car which I feel so attached to.
If they just had the decency and respect to hint very heavily what the problem was then honest hard working people might be able to salvage something ,although at some expense and get a car that will last a little longer.One option I considered was rebuilding my own engine with forged components but not knowing the parts that are failing has made that too much of a gamble.The main problem that I see is if Honda carry on the way they are doing now anybody with a 09 car will always have an engine problem waiting to happen.I spoke to them last year about this issue and the utter disbelief that anything could possibly be wrong with my engine convinced me I was being paranoid...I think they knew then.
I need to stop posting on this subject because it is such a depressing state of affairs,the year is 2011 ind this shouldnt be happening.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:01 AM

Here's a thought.............

An extended warranty is currently available at around £700 for 3 years

Honda will be aware of ALL the failures and it WILL total more than the 20 or so cars I provided details of

IMO if Honda continue to offer this warranty it will cause them a headache

Anyone care to wager that this warranty offer will be discontinued next year on the S2000 ?

Probably citing reasons that the car is not a current model or other such nonsense
Old 06-29-2011, 02:11 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

If I were a gambling man, I'd take that wager.

£700 for 3 years is stunning value, especially it includes the European Road Recovery. You won't get a single year's cover on a Boxster for that.

FWIW, I've always extended the warranty for my MY02 car, just in case the engine lets go.

Unfortunately, as the car will be 10 years old next year, I'll have to go elsewhere.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova

£700 for 3 years is stunning value, especially it includes the European Road Recovery. You won't get a single year's cover on a Boxster for that.

FWIW, I've always extended the warranty for my MY02 car, just in case the engine lets go.

Unfortunately, as the car will be 10 years old next year, I'll have to go elsewhere.
Simon

I would stongly advise against taking that wager as there is almost no chance the guarantee offers will be discontinued

By the way, you can still put an extended guarantee on a Honda that is between 8 and 15 years. The plan is slightly different in that it is a listed component guarantee (i.e. there is a cast iron list of the parts which are covered) and the claim limit is £1000 per claim rather than the purchase price of the car (as is the case of the 3 - 8 year guarantee). However, it does still include the full fat AA cover.

If you ever want a PDF of the t & c's, let me know and i'll fire you one over..
Old 06-29-2011, 03:46 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jody
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1309342277' post='20730292

Simon

I would stongly advise against taking that wager as there is almost no chance the guarantee offers will be discontinued

By the way, you can still put an extended guarantee on a Honda that is between 8 and 15 years. The plan is slightly different in that it is a listed component guarantee (i.e. there is a cast iron list of the parts which are covered) and the claim limit is £1000 per claim rather than the purchase price of the car (as is the case of the 3 - 8 year guarantee). However, it does still include the full fat AA cover.

Greg thinks that Honda will stop offering warranties of any sort on MY09 S2000s - I think they will continue, which you seem to agree with, so it's a good wager from my perspective if I've understood you correctly?

Thanks for the info on the "more than 10 years" thing - I've only ever bought the warranty as a "Total Loss of Engine" policy really, so a £1000 limit won't be what I'm after, really.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by jody' timestamp='1309346581' post='20730394
[quote name='lovegroova' timestamp='1309342277' post='20730292']

Simon

Greg thinks that Honda will stop offering warranties of any sort on MY09 S2000s - I think they will continue, which you seem to agree with, so it's a good wager from my perspective if I've understood you correctly?

Thanks for the info on the "more than 10 years" thing - I've only ever bought the warranty as a "Total Loss of Engine" policy really, so a £1000 limit won't be what I'm after, really.
[/quote]

No worries - I get where you are coming from now...

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners