UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Update on my car...........

Investigated today, end float on the crankshaft is within tolerance (0.010")

For the information of anyone interested this should be between 0.004" and 0.014" (standard new limit) or 0.018" (service limit)

The stance Honda are currently taking is if it's within tolerance then that is as far as they will go

Even if you've got the noise which is not acceptable IMO

I have spoken to Steve Dyer at Honda(UK)

He clearly doesn't know one end of a spanner from the other but he was quite amenable

I have my suspicions about what Honda already know AND why they are saying very little

My contact with Mr Dyer will not end here and I will keep this post updated

So the outcome is the same as mine then? I know its utter crap, but at least I know they have taken the same stance with you too and not just myself!

I am considering paying for the work myself and then trying to claim it back (if the noise disapears).
Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM
P 1

Originally Posted by Jonesey
Just listened to my 09 GPW and have the rattle ! Aargh. Engine number 1090180.

Phone call to Alisdair at Bristol Honda tomorrow me thinks.
Any update on this Jonesey?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I missing something or is it that Honda dont seem to have a problem squandering everybodys time?I for one dont have enough time as it is and wasting my time talking to chimps wearing Honda overalls is something I cannot afford the time to do.If they only have standard size thrust washers the are they not just moving the engine failiure on a few thousand miles?I paid (to me) a lot of money for my 700 mile old car,I since spent the same amount again on modifying it,as mentioned before I was half thinking of putting a forged engine in my car and winding the boost up on my blower.This unfortunatly is forcing my hand into doing so.
I was under the impression that having spent the best part of £20,000 on buying my car 2 years ago I could relax and look forward to 100,000 miles trouble free motoring(reduced miles with supercharger but still I should expect more than 20,000,shouldnt I?).I cant relax knowing my engine could go bang at any time,I do intend keeping the car so a forged engine will a least give piece of mind.I know this isnt helping you Guys but as I have said I think the treatment of customers is shocking and they will never get another penny off me. Rant over
Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 AM

[quote name='mr-pitts' timestamp='1309240549' post='20726113']
If they only have standard size thrust washers the are they not just moving the engine failiure on a few thousand miles?

I was under the impression that having spent the best part of £20,000 on buying my car 2 years ago I could relax and look forward to 100,000 miles trouble free motoring

I cant relax knowing my engine could go bang at any time

Mr Pitts, after speaking to Steve Dyer yesterday there is every possibilty that by replacing thrust washers Honda may just be prolonging the agony.

I was told that they still don't know what the cause of the failures has been (read as they aren't bothered, the warranties are running out soon)

Many of the replacement engines have also failed from what I can gather (ties in with the info posted on here by the owwners)

It seems that Honda (UK) will be doing as little as possible to address the issues and if you need a replacement engine there is every chance it will be a ticking bomb
Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I feel sorry for people who cherish these cars doing only a few thousand miles a year, by the time the problem is a problem, they will be years out of warranty.

If this is going to be sorted, it's going to have to be a product recall by Honda and it's going to have to be public, if Honda do nothing about it .... resale values for anything 08 onwards is going to be very poor.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
I feel sorry for people who cherish these cars doing only a few thousand miles a year, by the time the problem is a problem, they will be years out of warranty.

If this is going to be sorted, it's going to have to be a product recall by Honda and it's going to have to be public, if Honda do nothing about it .... resale values for anything 08 onwards is going to be very poor.
And the issue with that is; they can't recall because they don't know what is causing the failures

At least that is what Honda are saying and if you think about it, it's actually a pretty good get out for them

For the moment at least
Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 AM

Well if it doesn't happen pre 07 then there's a good starting point ..... really hope you get a satisfactory resolution with this ... personally i'd want my money back and would go and buy an early 07 car
Old 06-28-2011, 01:03 AM

The thing is, it really isn't in Honda's interest to do anything about it

Denial and dealing with issues as and when they arise is the best option for them to save money

Which is what this is really all about

If the issue isn't something as simple as thrust washers and is, for example, an issue with faulty blocks (misalignment of bores, etc causing the thrust washers to wear prematurely, for example)

It will cost £millions to sort, the engines have ceased production and they would have to put a production line back into operation in Japan, would probably have to re-tool, etc. and that simply will not happen

(obligatory smiley, I really don't feel like including them in this thread)
Old 06-28-2011, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If mine goes pop and Honda do not fix, I will get the all the publicity I can and do this outside their HQ.... maybe get Top Gear to drop a piano on it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-problems.html

or support anyone else on the board who is considering same...
Old 06-28-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
The thing is, it really isn't in Honda's interest to do anything about it
I disagree - it would drop their core advertising mantra re: legendary engine reliability stone dead

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners