UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, assuming the noise on your car is the same as other owners have experienced (have a read of Kiteland's first post on this thread)

Honda are then replacing the thrust washers if the crank is within tolerance

Did the dealer tell you the measurements on your car and what the degree of tolerance should be between ?

Replacing the washers gets rid of the noise

If the crankshaft is out of tolerance it's a bad idea just to change thrust washers as they will not be the only components to be affected

I'd check back with your dealer just to clarify
Old 06-26-2011, 09:23 AM

IIRC only 2 or 3 09 cars were sold in malta.

My friends car only a 100 away from Gaspodes car.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Tom, assuming the noise on your car is the same as other owners have experienced (have a read of Kiteland's first post on this thread)

Honda are then replacing the thrust washers if the crank is within tolerance

Did the dealer tell you the measurements on your car and what the degree of tolerance should be between ?

Replacing the washers gets rid of the noise

If the crankshaft is out of tolerance it's a bad idea just to change thrust washers as they will not be the only components to be affected

I'd check back with your dealer just to clarify

My noise is the same i.e Kitelands. My dealer told me their checks had come back within tolerance and therefore Honda would not authorise them to change any parts under warranty!!

Is it worth me having them changed at my own expense?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 AM

Hi

I have just had a price from Honda Chester for replacing the thrust washers at my own expense. The price quoted was £440.90. Should I go ahead with this and then try to claim back from Honda UK?

They've also suggested valve clearances (tappets), is it worth me having this done?

Tom
Old 06-27-2011, 02:56 AM

Tom

It's obviously playing on your mind and at the end of the day it's your decision

However, other cars were within tolerance (just), had the thrust washers replaced and "the noise" went

There appears to be some discrepancy between dealers OR what Honda are telling them to do

PM Kiteland, it may be worth getting details of the dealer he used

It may also be helpful to speak to Chester Honda and get the measurement of the tolerance on your car as a point of reference

PS. Tappets sound nothing like "the noise"
Old 06-27-2011, 03:20 AM

I would suggest speaking to Kiteland's dealer rather than forking out for them to be replaced because trust me, you won't get a refund from Honda!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 AM

Unfortunately Kiteland's dealer is a 3 hour drive away!! Otherwise I would be tempted.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 AM
P 1

Originally Posted by tjhmortimer
mine came back within 'tolerance' but with the noise being apparent, however they didn't replace anything! I was told that they would only replace the thrust washers if the end float was out of tolerance.
After carrying out this check did your dealer report back to Honda, or did they simply assume that Honda would not approve the next stage of checks based simply on the fact that it was in tolerance?

Like Kiteland’s car the end float check revealed that mine was within but at the very limit of tolerance and Honda have approved the next stage of investigation - i.e. (as I understand it) check for consequential damage to other components. If there is none (and I don’t expect there to be due to the very low mileage of my car) I’m guessing that Honda will approve replacement thrust washers as they did with Kiteland’s car. If there is damage elsewhere the fix will clearly involve significantly more.

If my car was in tolerance but still making the tinny, rattly noise that is characteristic of excessive crank end float, and the dealer could not get approval to investigate beyond the initial end float check, I would be taking the issue up with Honda direct myself.

Good luck in getting a resolution
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by P 1
Originally Posted by tjhmortimer' timestamp='1309095369' post='20720392
mine came back within 'tolerance' but with the noise being apparent, however they didn't replace anything! I was told that they would only replace the thrust washers if the end float was out of tolerance.
After carrying out this check did your dealer report back to Honda, or did they simply assume that Honda would not approve the next stage of checks based simply on the fact that it was in tolerance?

Like Kiteland’s car the end float check revealed that mine was within but at the very limit of tolerance and Honda have approved the next stage of investigation - i.e. (as I understand it) check for consequential damage to other components. If there is none (and I don’t expect there to be due to the very low mileage of my car) I’m guessing that Honda will approve replacement thrust washers as they did with Kiteland’s car. If there is damage elsewhere the fix will clearly involve significantly more.

If my car was in tolerance but still making the tinny, rattly noise that is characteristic of excessive crank end float, and the dealer could not get approval to investigate beyond the initial end float check, I would be taking the issue up with Honda direct myself.

Good luck in getting a resolution

I was told that the car was within tolerance and they had reported back to Honda who had told them there was nothing more they could do.

Im seriously considering paying for the work to be done myself. They did tell me however, that there are no modified thrust washers, they would be simply replacing like for like and it could re-appear in time!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Update on my car...........

Investigated today, end float on the crankshaft is within tolerance (0.010")

For the information of anyone interested this should be between 0.004" and 0.014" (standard new limit) or 0.018" (service limit)

The stance Honda are currently taking is if it's within tolerance then that is as far as they will go

Even if you've got the noise which is not acceptable IMO

I have spoken to Steve Dyer at Honda(UK)

He clearly doesn't know one end of a spanner from the other but he was quite amenable

I have my suspicions about what Honda already know AND why they are saying very little

My contact with Mr Dyer will not end here and I will keep this post updated

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners