UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Information for 09 owners

Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Since Honda don't seem to give a toss, is it time to make others aware of the crap we are putting up with? eg, J.D.Power survey or even Top Gear-5th Gear, or letters to Autocar and the like. So far I have not suffered from the dreaded rattle(touching wood as I type) but it may happen in the future and I'd like there be something positive to fall back on.
I don't really want to tell the world about the problems surrounding the S2k because it may/will affect values but if Honda feel that it may have a knock on effect on other models would this spur them on.?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by martin j
Since Honda don't seem to give a toss, is it time to make others aware of the crap we are putting up with? eg, J.D.Power survey or even Top Gear-5th Gear, or letters to Autocar and the like. So far I have not suffered from the dreaded rattle(touching wood as I type) but it may happen in the future and I'd like there be something positive to fall back on.
I don't really want to tell the world about the problems surrounding the S2k because it may/will affect values but if Honda feel that it may have a knock on effect on other models would this spur them on.?
TBH I don't think any of the motoring magazines would be interested, they tend to concentrate on the new metal

One of the consumer affairs programmes on the tele probably would though

I have a contact at the BBC: (a friend of a friend) a producer who has worked on many programmes including Top Gear. All I need do is pick up the phone and call him, so that is simple enough

It's a difficult situation as you say, it won't help the value of the cars if the issue is common knowledge

I do think it would be a PR problem for Honda though and it will undoubtedly damage their image

However, with the current lack of acknowledgement of the issues, even when the facts have been presented to them

A complete lack of any kind of customer service, aside from fitting another engine which WILL, in all probability, FAIL

A "customer services" operation staffed and led by the blind, deaf and dumb

An arrogance and seemingly complete contempt for their customers

I WILL, should the need arise, do as much damage to Honda's reputation as I can
Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg, just out of interest does this only affect uk cars?Does it effect other RHD cars,as in Malta,Gibralta,Australia,ect,I know the American AP2s are 2.2s so that would perhaps remove them from the possible list,
Old 06-25-2011, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
Greg, just out of interest does this only affect uk cars?Does it effect other RHD cars,as in Malta,Gibralta,Australia,ect,I know the American AP2s are 2.2s so that would perhaps remove them from the possible list,
It's difficult to say, the "foreign" forums don't appear as active as S2KUK (apart from the USA and as you say they have the 2.2)

I would imagine the issues could potentially affect any F20C2 engines, whether LHD or RHD

Presumably they were all built on the same production line
Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 AM

Last time I took my car to Honda as they detected a sound from the engine and they found out the tappet needed adjusting! I'll get them to do a engine health check in the nearer future
Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

What are Honda doing to rectify the noise? if it just fitting new thrust washers if the movement exceeds tolerance would it be worth fitting new thrusts from a source other than Honda as a precaution before the problem arises?.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by martin j
What are Honda doing to rectify the noise? if it just fitting new thrust washers if the movement exceeds tolerance would it be worth fitting new thrusts from a source other than Honda as a precaution before the problem arises?.
If the tolerances are out of spec I'd imagine it would be time for a new engine

When tolerances have been checked and are in spec but "the noise" is apparent, Honda are fitting thrust washers

If you haven't got "the noise" I wouldn't worry - yet

Engines have developed "the noise" as low as 2.5k miles and have blown at up to 20k miles
Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 AM

Do any of the guys affected by this issue subscribe to the Which? magazine? Just a thought
Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ste_Nova
Originally Posted by tjhmortimer' timestamp='1308837080' post='20711800
[quote name='Ste_Nova' timestamp='1308814827' post='20711195']
another one in chester honda yesterday, has noise, measurements in tolerance, the person i spoke to was aware there was an issue

Hi Ste_Nova

Did you take your car to Chester Honda yesterday? They certainly wern't aware until I made them aware!!! Did you get any joy with them?

Tom
no i was just picking up some bits, i'm friends with the parts manager and he said they had an 09 in on the ramps straight away i said 'endfloat' and he replyed 'yep and its in tolerance'
[/quote]

That would've been mine!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Originally Posted by martin j' timestamp='1309013772' post='20718553
If the tolerances are out of spec I'd imagine it would be time for a new engine

When tolerances have been checked and are in spec but "the noise" is apparent, Honda are fitting thrust washers

If you haven't got "the noise" I wouldn't worry - yet

Engines have developed "the noise" as low as 2.5k miles and have blown at up to 20k miles

Not ALWAYS the case, mine came back within 'tolerance' but with the noise being apparent, however they didn't replace anything! I was told that they would only replace the thrust washers if the end float was out of tolerance.

Quick Reply: Information for 09 owners