UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Importing a rear bumper from the USA

Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a rear bumper from the USA

I've found a rear bumper which I really want to buy from across the waters. My friend is heading out to the states next week and I am thinking of getting the bumper delivered to his address where he will be staying. Before confirming a purchase, I wanted to clarify the following:

1) Are there any restrictions on bringing large items, such as a bumper, back to the UK?

2) Is there any tax to be incurred on bringing the item over to the UK?

Any advice/information/experience greatly appreciated as I have never done this before.

Thanks

Ian
Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 AM

I've had a couple of smaller things sent over from the States (iPods, rear light clusters, clothing), so I'm not too sure on the bulkier items.

When someone sends from the USA, they need to attach a customs form to the package, with a description of the item, it's weight and it's value.

None of my items have ever been stopped at customs, so I've never had to pay any import tax - but I think I have been quite lucky.

If customs do stop your item, they'll instruct the delivery service to collect the duty on their behalf. This generally means you'll pay your tax plus a fee that will be charged by the delivery service (most likely royal mail).

Check here for info: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalW...cument#P40_3190
Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the link & info viperr. Do you know if these same rules apply to some bringing it back to the UK with them as luggage. Obviously, with the bumper, this will have to be boxed separately.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:37 AM

I've had a front lip spoiler and rear wing it came in a huge box i got the seller to declare it lower than its value i got taxed less but if something was to happen to the item then i would be fooked
Old 06-16-2009, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by ENS2K,Jun 16 2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the link & info viperr. Do you know if these same rules apply to some bringing it back to the UK with them as luggage. Obviously, with the bumper, this will have to be boxed separately.
Get him to call the airling he is flying with and ask the question, they will need the approximate dimensions of the item, rules vary from airline to airline.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've bought a sandwich plate & a set of camber-adjustable ball joints.

Both resulted in a tax bill for me.

Whenever i look to buy stuff from the US forums, i have to factor in another 15%
Old 06-16-2009, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sti Vi,Jun 16 2009, 10:40 AM
Get him to call the airling he is flying with and ask the question, they will need the approximate dimensions of the item, rules vary from airline to airline.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by C7 JFW,Jun 16 2009, 10:44 AM
I've bought a sandwich plate & a set of camber-adjustable ball joints.

Both resulted in a tax bill for me.

Whenever i look to buy stuff from the US forums, i have to factor in another 15%
good to know..

will have to check with the airline later today. looks like i'm going to have see what the lowest price I can get for the bumper before going ahead then, and like mugen said maybe declare a lower price for the item and hope for the best.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I imported this bumper for the US.
I got a good price on it.
It came very well packed.
I did get clobbered for duty.
But at the end of the day had anything gone wrong I had recourse.
If your mate or the airline bugger yours you are going to struggle!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Jun 16 2009, 02:08 PM

I imported this bumper for the US.
I got a good price on it.
It came very well packed.
I did get clobbered for duty.
But at the end of the day had anything gone wrong I had recourse.
If your mate or the airline bugger yours you are going to struggle!
how much did you end up paying in duty percentage wise and how much did shipping cost you? Some of the quotes I've been getting for shipping have cost just as much (if not more) than the actual item!

The price i'm getting is very good IMO for what it is! The only thing I'm struggling with is the process of getting it over here via the airline. If I got a good quote on shipping, would probably go down that route.

Quick Reply: Importing a rear bumper from the USA