UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Imobiliser.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imobiliser.

Went to fill up with petrol last weekend and when we went to leave the garage the S would'nt start. All the dash lit up as normal and the engine turn't over nicely. We noticed that the engine management light was not coming on everytime we turnt the key.

Checked all the usual things like fuses, connections and battery terminals etc. So we had to call out the RAC, when the guy turn't up he did all the same checks. When he still could'nt get the car to start he disconnected the battery and then reconnected it.

With this the car started first time, he told us that this would reboot the ECU . Anyway the car was fine until Friday morning just before setting off to work, same thing happened turn't the key hit the switch and engine turn't over ok but would not fire up.

So another call to the Rac, different guy turn't up this time. He did all the same checks as before but still had no joy. When I explained about the last time it had happened he said he was'nt so sure this was the problem. He then made a quick call to his friend for advice.

After speaking to his mate, he went out to the car and then pushed back the drivers seat to expose the alarm/imobiliser, he then tapped the box with a very small hammer, just twice and this did the trick the car started first time. He told me this was a known fault with Honda cars fitted with a standard Honda alarm.

Since Friday the problem has not re-occured. Could what he has said be true? I have never heard of this fault/problem before, and I was just interested to see if anyone else has had this problem. If there is a reconised problem what can I do to avoid it happening to me again........many thanks Maria xxx.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:29 AM

OEM honda alarms are a pos, sounds like the main board is on its way out not an uncommon problem, The problem will probably return.

You can get an aftermarket one , clifford are highly regarded.

http://www.clifford.com/

Old 09-21-2008, 04:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Are they problematic?
Is the pope a Catholic?

(The pre 04 alarm isn't OEM, it was a Honda UK afterthought)
Old 09-21-2008, 04:33 AM

There was a guy on here only the other day that had alarm problems where his wouldn't disarm.

I have also read that a couple of people have had the alarms replaced by Honda due to faults.

If I was in this situation though, I wouldn't fit a stock Honda alarm system, I would have a reputable third party alarm installed, and rip out the stock system. Something like a Clifford, Toad, or Cobra.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The standard alarm is crap. I replaced mine with Clifford in the end
Old 09-21-2008, 06:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same problem here https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=633539
Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 AM

Hey there Honda Honey.

If you do need to get a new alarm circuit board to replace the one under your drivers' seat, you can get one directly from the original supplying company - Hamilton & Palmer (http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/) rather than going down the dealer route. Looking through the threads, loads of people have had this same problem recently (me included).
I ended up paying Lincoln Honda just under
Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 AM

Wow looks like the alarm's are dodgy, will be investing in a new alarm sometime soon. My husband has a Toad alarm on his car, so maybe get one of those fitted. Thanks for all the help people............Maria xxx.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Honda Honey,Sep 21 2008, 12:22 PM
After speaking to his mate, he went out to the car and then pushed back the drivers seat to expose the alarm/imobiliser, he then tapped the box with a very small hammer, just twice and this did the trick the car started first time. He told me this was a known fault with Honda cars fitted with a standard Honda alarm.
I feel compelled to post as this is exactly what I went through...the RAC must have put the 'knock it with a hammer' trick on their systems as it was what got me going again.

My advice would be to get it replaced ASAP as it will most definately let you down again and at the most awkard time / place possible....and the hammer trick won't work I wouldn't replace with a new board as the design is flawed and the amount of wiring and relays that are stripped out when replacing it makes it seem seriously overcomplicated. I have Toad now that I'm very happy with
Old 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nachi,Sep 22 2008, 08:11 PM
I feel compelled to post as this is exactly what I went through...the RAC must have put the 'knock it with a hammer' trick on their systems as it was what got me going again.

My advice would be to get it replaced ASAP as it will most definately let you down again and at the most awkard time / place possible....and the hammer trick won't work I wouldn't replace with a new board as the design is flawed and the amount of wiring and relays that are stripped out when replacing it makes it seem seriously overcomplicated. I have Toad now that I'm very happy with
so which toad did you buy in the end nachi, and did it affect your insurance in any way?

Quick Reply: Imobiliser.