UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ignition leads and other questions

Old 01-02-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition leads and other questions

Evening,

My S2000 is off to TGM in a couple of weeks for some considerable maintenance and because it's quite a journey for me I'm trying to get as much done as possible while I'm there. That made me think I might as well get the spark plugs done while I'm there and I've decided to go for some denso iridiums.

It's been a while since I've been modifying cars but I seem to remember from when I used to that it was generally advised that if you were upgrading spark plugs that you should upgrade the ignition leads as well? Have any of you done this, if you did which leads did you go for and where did you get them from?

I'm getting the valve clearances checked out while I'm there too as I can't find any evidence of it being done in the car's history folder, if they do in fact need adjustment could this make the vtec engagement seem more aggressive afterwards? Before I bought the car and I was doing my research I read a lot about the "vtec kicking in" and "vtec yo" etc. But to be honest I've never been that impressed with it or found it that different. Don't get me wrong there is a slight noise change and a little kick around 6000rpm but I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong that is preventing the vtec from engaging fully. Unfortunately I haven't been out in any other vtec hondas for a comparison.

Finally, I'm thinking about doing some light modifications to make the car mostly sound and go a little better, particularly interested in air filters and exhaust modifications. I don't want the car to be overly loud or boomy though, I'm after a quality sound rather than a loud sound if that makes sense. I have had a search around and it seems that opinions are diverse and varied on the way to go so I'd appreciate any comments.

Sorry for all of those questions in one post, if you can only help with one of them I'd still be very grateful.

It won't surprise me if lovegroova decides to close this thread because he thinks I haven't searched hard enough so be quick
Old 01-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

It's COP so no leads
Old 01-02-2015, 11:48 AM

Hey man,

By no means an expert and can't advise why you wouldn't feel a dramatic difference when vtec comes in, but to suggest you only feel a "little kick" sounds to me like something's not right.

When driving my S, vtec will start to come in just before 6000rpm, I'd probably say 5800rpm, once it hits 6k...bang. There is a HUGELY difference in both noise and acceleration. If that helps at all!!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
It's COP so no leads
So as they are individual coil packs would I need to upgrade the coil packs themselves?
Old 01-02-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by japcrap
Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave' timestamp='1420231622' post='23454075
It's COP so no leads
So as they are individual coil packs would I need to upgrade the coil packs themselves?

Yes and no
Old 01-02-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
Originally Posted by japcrap' timestamp='1420232284' post='23454086
[quote name='Daytona-Dave' timestamp='1420231622' post='23454075']
It's COP so no leads

Yes and no
[/quote]

OK thanks for your help, that's one less thing to buy!
Old 01-02-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

DO NOT use Denso they have a habit of losing bits into the cylinders, not good!

NGK Spark Plug PFR7G-11S

Also you have a 2005 so VTEC will be "softer" than earlier models, an ECU reset will improve that.

Take the lid of the air box (see if that sounds better).
Old 01-02-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Save yourself some money mate, the COP generally last a good 100k its not like old days of dizzys, magnecor leads etc haha for tuning.

Have a 'good' read on here, if you must and ill save you a little time you can get 20-30BHP in places with full bolts on's and ECU but put your hand in your pocket because its expensive cheaper if 2nd hand but a few grand worth. An NA s2000 with say an aftermarket filter and decat will not even make a difference you can feel.

Put standard items in, if you must NGK iridium.

On a standard car and even basic bolt on NA tune spark plugs will do no difference (timing advance not enough to warrant better plugs) nor will uprated coil packs hardly anything to performance, even CP's like Okada's etc.

A turbo, not so much a SC s2000 is a different kettle of fish.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

If you car has a Honda service history clearances would have been done every 27k or 3 years. You can see the servicing schedule in the Technical FAQ, if that helps?

Most aftermarket exhausts drone to some extent. For noise, an intake is the way to go, but don't expect any performance improvements.

As s2konroids says, "have a 'good' read around" before you make any more bad decisions
Old 01-02-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by richmc
DO NOT use Denso they have a habit of losing bits into the cylinders, not good!

NGK Spark Plug PFR7G-11S

Also you have a 2005 so VTEC will be "softer" than earlier models, an ECU reset will improve that.

Take the lid of the air box (see if that sounds better).
Taking on board lovegroova's wise words of wisdom from the tyre thread, I spent some time searching spark plugs. And found these threads -

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/246...1#entry2607300

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/187..._1#entry197836

Fair enough they are old threads but that's the search tool for you. I'll look into the NGK's before I purchase.

When you say getting an ECU reset will improve it, improve it how exactly?

Taking the lid off the airbox seems a bit odd to me, surely they put a lid on it for a reason? Doesn't seem like a good idea to have the air filter element exposed...

Quick Reply: Ignition leads and other questions