UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Idle Air Control & Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

Old 07-19-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I could see this being of some use in earlier models not so much in later models due the IAT relocation.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the only thread I managed to find is this one:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry8984713

There are figures in there that do show a decrease in intake manifold temperatures based on the Hondata gasket but also with the water hoses still connected. No data regarding difference between connected/disconnected hoses as per the OP query.

As per Lowers comments in the thread also to get any meaningful head exchange the surface areas have to be massive (look at the design of a typical car radiator to get temperatures down 10~20C). Just having the outer surface of the TB cooler/hotter is going to make sweet FA difference.

What I want to see is, is there any proven data to show that there's a performance increase/or reduction in prevalance to kangerooing? Is there a perfomance curve or similar proving that?

Also icing is a very real problem on cars and whilst it may well be rare there is a requirement to keep the butterfly moving smoothly hence you have to prevent ice build up against the throat.

Honestly speaking I don't really care one way or the other. All I want to see is data proving it rather than hearsay and conjecture
Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Taseas,Jul 19 2009, 10:33 PM
Anyway data from other forum members shows a temperature drop in the air inside the intake manifold. You can do a search for the exact numbers but i remember something like 10 degrees. I have not done any measurements myself since i lack the equipment but i have no reason to doubt what the other have found. To sum up there is some performance and there is no risk in this mod.
That's not a fair or accurate summing up.

I'm in the fluffyninja camp. The temperature increase in the intake charge from passing through a hot manifold will be minimal. The surface area of the intake is a fraction of what is required for any meaningful heat transfer and the air velocity of the intake charge is way to large.

2-3 years on after the thread fluffy linked to the heat exchanger i designed has been on sale and successfully installed in approx 15 spraybooths.

My heat exchanger is approx 33% efficient. To achieve that efficiency we needed a surface area of 100 sq metres to get a 6.5 degree temperature rise (20,000 metre cubed per hour airflow, 0 degree intake temperature, 20 degree exhaust) and we had to turbulate the airflow in the heat exchanger (which in turn increases the resistance to flow- exactly what you don't want in a car inlet manifold).

Lets say for arguments sake that on the S2000 application the external air temperature is 15 degrees and the intake manifold is at 80 degrees, a 65 degree temperature differential.

To get your 10 degree temperature rise you would be looking at an efficiency of 15%.

That just isn't going to happen.