UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

ICE, Halfords and Dash Controls

Old 02-17-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ICE, Halfords and Dash Controls

Whilst twiddling my thumbs waiting to collect my S on Friday, I am just sorting out my ICE plans for Saturday.

I have searched and found a lot of stuff but I've not been able to find the specific answers I need so I am hoping someone can help.

I have a Sony head unit with Ipod connection that I would quite like to use but, obviously, I would like to keep the dash controls.

I have a MY03 so it has tweeters and, I gather, slightly better speakers than the seemingly legendarily shit ones that the earlier model came with so I intend to try the HU with the standard speakers before upgrading anything.

My question is, has anyone used the Halfords solutions for keeping the In-dash controls?

The monkey there assured me that the purchase of something he called a 'multistalk adapter' (
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

It may work, but Try the countdown dash controls (in Shiskine's signature) or the Modifry ones.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:51 PM

ive just bought some off fleabay for my alpine unit, that incorporates the dash controls, and all seemed to be going fairly to plan until i tried to put the HUGE mass of wires back into the dash and fit the stereo back in place............ grrrrrrrrrrrrr

think they are the same adaptors that halfrauds use (autoleads).
Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 PM

Modifry harness... plug and play
Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 PM

TBH the kit in Halfords looks exactly like the Countdown one and, if I am right in thinking that Modifry is US import only, then it is about 3 times the price at current exchange rate (before potential import tax and shipping)!

tont2002 - I take it there isn't much space behind the HU then? This might prompt a rethink as my Sony is not a direct connect Ipod connection but has an interface box that needs to be tucked away somewhere...
Old 02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

the modifry is indeed a fair bit more, i was in your situation a few months back - i've used the incartec adaptors before and by and large they have been ok most of the time but i thought id treat myself this time - spent a few extra quid and bought the modifry

its awesome!!!! never missed a beat yet, so many features and so easy to use and install. big thumbs up
Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 PM

uberf1end, theres not a massive amount of room directly behind the stereo, and there is the SRS control unit that sits underneath, saying that there is space either side of the unit, if you could stuff wires / control units there, with enough wire out the dash to connect and then slide the head unit in, you'll be laughing.

If you want a quick look, its just a case of pulling the stereo cover off, and 4 screws and pull the old hu out.

p.s. the standard unit is a Pioneer (i believe) but fitting my aftermarket unit has made a Huge difference in quality, not sure if i need to upgrade the speakers now (oh and mines a my02)
Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 PM

I have the autoleads/Halfords adapter. It works perfectly well. You get all of the original functionality.

Whatever you use, you *will* end up stuffing yards of wires and little boxes into the dashboard (ho hum). It is a bit of a struggle, but it's achievable. You just need a lot of patience.

As for there being enough room for an iPod box too... I'd not hold out much hope tbh.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Feb 17 2009, 10:46 PM
It may work, but Try the countdown dash controls (in Shiskine's signature)
As if by magic ...
Old 02-18-2009, 01:41 AM

I used the halfords leads, and i have had no problem. I also have the idpod connection, the box is roughly the size of a fag packet one one cable connecting to the hu and one connecting to my ipod. I placed the box in the centre console underneath the sliding secret compartment then drilled a small hole in the 'glove' box and pulled the cable through. My ipod now sits in the glove box.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: ICE, Halfords and Dash Controls