UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I think I've forgotten how to brake

Old 09-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I've forgotten how to brake

Since getting my discs and pads done, despite the feeling of having nice chunky pads and discs I don't think I'm stopping any harder. However, when I use my left foot to brake, the car brakes very positively and gives me a bit more confidence.

When I use my right foot, I tend to brake far more gently and slowly. What's wrong with me, am I sitting too close to the pedal, or is my right foot just gayer than my left?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 AM

You need a chiropractor.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:04 AM

I've noticed that before, it's weird.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:12 AM

FFS, isn't it obvious?

It is because you are used to brake with the right foot and the pedal is positioned accordingly.
As you do not left foot brake as often as right foot brake, your brain ( ) is not used to it, your coordination is not he same you do not control the force you are using as well.

It is like if you are right handed and you start to write with your left hand. You are not used to it. The connections in the brain are not as strong to help you coordinate this. Basically, your brain is not used to you asking your leg to do this.

Rally drivers who regularly left foot brake do not have the problem.

It is all about the paths that the information going through your brain has formed (or not).

Of course, I am assuming that your limbs are in perfect working order here.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Woman,Sep 14 2005, 08:12 PM
FFS, isn't it obvious?
Well no not really. I originally thought it was something along the lines of what you said but then, after extensive testing (ie pissing about in a car - empty road, mind), I discovered there's more to it than that.

Even stamping on the brake, to ABS inducing pressure, my left foot achieves "critical" MUCH sooner and easier than the right.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Banned

I'm with Graham. I use my left foot all the time when karting, and can use it very well. I'm thinking it's the position of the pedal that's stopping me achieving the right level of force, which due to the positioning of the pedal I can do with my left.

EDIT: Oh and before anyone else does, I'll post this and be done with it:

"I am not talking to yaw".

Now back to this right foot being crap at braking topic.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:24 AM

How many times in your life have you used your right foot to brake v how many times in your life have you used your left foot to brake?

Some people can naturally write equally well with either hand. They are not the norm. Same with legs and brake pedals.

This is what it comes down to in the end: practice makes perfect. , and this right brain/ left brain issue as well. You will need some more medically qualified people than me to explain this further.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=Bada Bing!,Sep 14 2005, 08:20 PM] I'm with Graham.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Banned

So I will need to train for years to make my left foot as shit at braking as my right?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Ah but the problem is: as we get older the paths in the brain do not form as well or as quickly. So I will leave it up to you to work that one out.

Also alcohol over the years may have disconnected a few neurones. Don't worry, you know your most important limb does not need connecting with the brain.

Quick Reply: I think I've forgotten how to brake