UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I think the Boxters are getting the message

Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think the Boxters are getting the message

Was out real early Sunday morning... sun was out and found myself on the outside of a 54 plate Boxter with top down at front of traffic lights with a good two miles of clear NSL road to go at.
After what seemed an eternity we got the green and i'd already decided to hesitate just to see and to my surprise he crawled off... almost as if stalking each other so then i floored it.
I had just about dismissed him as having a Sunday morning chill out and not wanting to play when he picks up and stays about three car lengths back right up to speeds of... well, ya know.
What surprised me more was that he tucked back in behind me at the next (also clear) set of lights and really wanted to avoid the side to side flat outer.
Funny thing was i never liked the Boxter but this did look alright that morning, maybe 'cos it was one of the few i've seen with the top down, can only assume the S is receiving some acclaim or maybe my badge was far too insignificant?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:43 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I suspect he couldnt be arsed

Ive done the same as him many a time when not really in the mood.

Boxter's still deserve respect IMO!

MB
Old 10-10-2005, 11:50 AM

I've got to agree... been out for a quiet drive myself no end of times and got peeved by unwanted attention, guess i will wait and see when i meet the Boxter S which will be a real handfull.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by s200sw,Oct 10 2005, 06:44 PM
Was out real early Sunday morning... sun was out and found myself on the outside of a 54 plate Boxter with top down at front of traffic lights with a good two miles of clear NSL road to go at.
After what seemed an eternity we got the green and i'd already decided to hesitate just to see and to my surprise he crawled off... almost as if stalking each other so then i floored it.
I had just about dismissed him as having a Sunday morning chill out and not wanting to play when he picks up and stays about three car lengths back right up to speeds of... well, ya know.
What surprised me more was that he tucked back in behind me at the next (also clear) set of lights and really wanted to avoid the side to side flat outer.
Funny thing was i never liked the Boxter but this did look alright that morning, maybe 'cos it was one of the few i've seen with the top down, can only assume the S is receiving some acclaim or maybe my badge was far too insignificant?
Had exactly the same thing with a Scooby tonight.

Both a bit tentative joining the motorway so in the end I just blasted off thinking he wasn't interested. Looking in my rear view mirror he caught me up once I had stopped VTEC'ing and maintained station at about 4 car lenghts for another two junctions whilst I was 'playing' with the other traffic.

Left the motorway, pulled up at a set of traffic lights, two lanes 5+miles of NSL dual carriage way and he pulls up behind me

Andy
Old 10-10-2005, 12:10 PM

I followed a M3 convertible the other evening on the way home from work, that really shifted I did my best to keep up but he was taking the bends a scary speed so I backed off - fun though
Old 10-10-2005, 12:20 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Andy, again, probably just wanted to avoid any confrontation I guess. Done that one too when not in the mood! (or next to something very tasty!)

I had just had my STi mapped and driving home through some twisty A / B roads and went past a Silver S. He took the bait and did a damned fine job of keeping up with me, which I was shocked at mainly becuase it was VERY wet, and he was pushing it on the bends. Was an older bloke with his missus as passenger

Got to a dual set of lights and he sat behind me. I did have a 0-60 time of about 4.2 seconds though

Bet she was not best pleased tho...

MB
Old 10-10-2005, 02:24 PM

Thats no fun mark - I love mismatched competition! I like to pull up next to seriously outgunned opposition and nail it just for a laugh I remember once I pulled up next to an MKII GTI 8v in my 275bhp scooby in torrential rain. I dumped at 4000rpm and was partially sideways for most of 1st and 2nd. I'd also happily take a scooby on from the lights in the soaking wet. Its funny just to watch it waste you
Old 10-10-2005, 10:36 PM

Took on a Boxster S earlier this year and he slaughtered me off the lights, partly my fault as I didn't dump the clutch, he couldn't get away from me after that and when we hit a roundabout I outbraked him and got into VTEC early, think he was suprised by the way I pulled away from him..Boxster S is a great car though, pity about it's looks.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Most cars have strengths and weaknesses.

Standing starts in the S aren't a good idea with opposition like Imprezas.

Cliche perhaps, but the S is best in the bends and in third and fourth gears.

Boxster is likely to be better in a wider range of situations.

As it should be for the money you pay.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:27 AM

Ha ha, all this talk of wonderful machinery facing off and I'm gonna come on here and spoil it...

Love racing people who want a bit of fun, I've had several good duels in various cars over the years, and all have been good-natured (ie I've always waved at the other guy and vice versa when we've slowed down a bit!) - one of the best I had was me in a Cooper S Works and a lone guy in a Zafira GSi! We were doing (cough cough) speeds along the M69 one night, very good fun!

Anyhoo, in my S most things don't really stand a chance, and the odd car that does come up against me and is likely to thrash me (I'm thinking M3s, 996s, big turbo 4x4 saloons etc), they don't seem keen to play.

And also, I hope I don't sound like a loon - I have to be careful on the roads because I'm actually only 3pts away from a ban, so most of the time I'm adhering to the speed limits rigidly (esp. in villages, where I never speed anyway). So imagine my surprise the other night on the A429; I'm doing the 40mph limit in a town, heading south towards Cirencester. And in my rear view mirror I see a set of lights approaching very rapidly... well, I'm not about to be overtaken, because the NSL signs are approaching and I've been going quickly in the open bits of road prior to this town. But I'm in fourth and using the 'prodigious torque' of the S2K and this thing thinks it can come round me using its momentum... it got partway through the manoeuvre but as I was getting near VTEC and starting to really pick up speed, it decided the better of it. And what was this pacy mobile, this sports car rival...?

A bl00dy Land Rover Defender. Sigh. One tale to tell and it's S2K v Landy...

Quick Reply: I think the Boxters are getting the message