UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I literally ran over a baby fox!

Old 07-02-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, going to the local Tescos I saw what I thought was a piece of paper in the road then realised with seconds to go it was a baby fox lying down in the road eating something. It was too late I braked hard but I couldn't come to a stop and went over it (what I mean is literally he was right in the centre of the underneath of the car as I drove over him no bump at all to the tyres) although at quite a considerably slower speed about 15 mph I reckon. I heard a sound like grating stones under the car but when I went back to look for it there was no sign of any fox or any evidence one had been injured (no blood or anything).

I've checked my car and I can see no visible damage to the front (he may have kept his head down....) but I am concerned if he had tried to run what is the likelyhood of any damage to the underside of the car ? Are the exhausts particularly vulnerable ? I was going even slower as I went over him as I continued to brake. Also could he be caught up in the underneath of the car ? I have got as low to the ground with a torch as I can and can see no evidence of anything. There didnt seem to be an impact as I say only a grating sound like a few stones hitting the underside of the car (you know the kind of sound you get when going over loose stones).

In the daylight I will be able to see things more clearly. I hope he kept down and didn't get too hurt and likewise with my car.......

Anyone got any suggestions of the best action to take ? things to check/test ?
Old 07-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Reminds me of a sign i saw in Cornwall

Hope baby Fox is ok

Old 07-02-2003, 02:18 PM

Seems like a bit of an overkill to get stickier tyres
Old 07-02-2003, 02:49 PM

Well if you have mullered it, wait until you have a heavy vtec session. Theres nothing quite like the smell of burnt fox in the morning
Old 07-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

And just when he thought the ban would make him safe.............

Seriously though, good for you going back to check. Not many people would do that.

I would be amazed if it would cause any damage to your car - maybe the front but not underside. I also don't think there's much chance of it being caught up in the underside. Not whole anyway. Not being mean, I'm just guessing you are concerned about it being trapped.

Sounds like the fox used up several lives.

Why not take the S into a Kwik Fit on the way to work and just tell them you heard a bang from underneath and you want them to check the exhaust. It will put your mind at rest.

Should be amusing if they try to flog you a new exhaust/shocks/tyres and brakes as well.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for you going back?

Paaah.

He only went back to see if there was a fox with an exhaust shaped indent in its head, thus confirming impact.

Metal + fox, if it did indeed happen, would result in more fox damage and less exhaust. It`ll be reet.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by cheshire_carper
Good for you going back?

Paaah.

He only went back to see if there was a fox with an exhaust shaped indent in its head, thus confirming impact.

Metal + fox, if it did indeed happen, would result in more fox damage and less exhaust. It`ll be reet.
Ya bruiser carper!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:39 PM

At the risk of offending everyone, they're vicious pests anyway.

Well done for going back though, if only to put it out of it's misery - had to do this a few times and it's not nice.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Banned

The car should be fine, don't worry.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:20 PM

I wasted a rabbit a couple of weeks ago - first time I've ever owned a car fast enough to catch one unawares.

No damage to spoiler surprisingly, as there was quite a thump.

Quick Reply: I literally ran over a baby fox!