UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I just bought a full set of TOYO T1R's

Old 12-20-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you prefer the eagles though Ron? I've never ventured from the BS yet, the MZ's on the 17's was so good after i came from S02's on the 16's i was so impressed. That will change when I need new frounts I guess.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 PM

I 'thought' the GSD3 had slightly more grip in the wet. And I do mean slightly. I have had only good experiences from the GSD3's on so many Hondas (Civics, Integras, Preludes, S2000 etc etc) that you honestly can't go wrong with them!

However, i'll be fitting another set of Toyo's on the back after these ones expire.

I had Toyos on the First Honda I ever bought and they were very good, especially in the dry. The T1-R is no different. Price is also a bonus -
Old 12-21-2008, 05:17 AM

Hi Matt,
well a quick update today, tyres have only done 25 -30 miles so far, and having done some 'spirited driving' today, these tyres are interesting!

Going hard and fast round corners I can notice the walls of the tyre flex and then grip hard, although disconcerting (the BS don't give at all) it feels more natural and I didn't feel the tyre was about to let go. So I tried a full beans left hand junction and managed to get the tyres to squeel (again something I don't think I ever managed to do with the BS) as they tried to grip the road, again this felt quite natural, I really wasn't expecting the tyre squeel though ... nonetheless it felt good and progressive.

A right hand junction close to where i live and do regularly gave me a really nice feel, turned hard in and full beans and it slid out just like at the drift day but very very smoothly (The BS would let go very fast and you had to be ready to react) doing the same corner.

Doing 90+ is where the tyres were 'very interesting', the car felt floaty and taking long sweeping corners was a little scary I suspect this is the 'scrubbing in' that people have talked about, and I hope this is not a 'normal' characteristic of the tyre once they are scrubbed in. Assuming this 'feature' goes away after 200+ miles then my initial thoughts are I think these tyres are going to be great. If the floatiness at speed doesn't go away, I won't be too concerned as I rarely go at those kind of speeds in my every day commute, but if it was like this at a track then i expect they wouldn't be ideal. However, lots of people with experience on here have said they feel odd until scrubbed in, so I am hopeful that the high speed part sorts itself out over time.

The car sits different when stationary, one of the things about the BS tyres is they seem to have the car 'sit' in a very nice position off the ground, the TOYO's tend to have the car 'sit up' a bit more.

Another nice characteristic of the tyre is it is very comfortable, pot holes and grids that would normally jarr my teeth on my particular route home, were taken much more comfortably, and they do seem quieter on the road too.

I should add also, that I feel the front wheels have a lot more grip already than they did with the hard BS on, it might just be my perception but it certainly appears that way right now.

I will add some more detail later as I get to 200+ miles on the tyres.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut,Dec 21 2008, 02:17 PM
I should add also, that I feel the front wheels have a lot more grip already than they did with the hard BS on, it might just be my perception but it certainly appears that way right now.
This may well be because the BS were worn. They are pretty hard (and become understeery) when they get down to the last few mm.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:19 AM

Do you have them on a 16" rim?? If so I had the same problem the car felt unstable at high speed and stayed that way!!

I now have Toyo's on a 17" rim and they are perfectly suited to the 17" rim due to the lower side wall you do not feel side wall flex on a 17" rim and the ride is beautiful...they are the best tyres you could buy for comfort/quietness!!

On a 17" rim amazing
On a 16" rim I wouldnt buy them
Old 12-21-2008, 11:02 AM

Mart, no, these are 17's - Chris the front BS had about 4-5 mm left.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:07 PM

In that case mate...after about 300 good miles and when they are scrubbed the instability will go...which is what you want to hear I take it.
Good choice of tyre on a 17" rim