UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I hate insurance!

Old 07-02-2008, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=SlimJ GBR,Jul 1 2008, 02:11 PM]
Old 07-02-2008, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by jammy_rex,Jul 2 2008, 04:44 AM
I've noticed the Admiral/Elephant group of insurance companies are worse than most in this situation. I've had someone go into the back of me in my daily driver a few years back, and my insurance rose riduculously the next year, so I was forced to change companies (obviously I declared the accident with the new insurer, but they were less punishing).

Now I seem to notice, that you have to declare accidents over the past FIVE years (a couple of years ago, it was only THREE). So we are now getting hammered for more money, for longer - great eh...

Last year someone drove into the back of my old Civic and wrote it off, so I am not looking forward to renewing next year for both cars - I have had 2 accidents with people going into the back of me (in my 2nd cars that I use for work) within the past 5 years!
I agree - IME non-fault accidents make a difference with some insurers, not others. Elephant's the type of low-cost insurer who'll look for any reason to up your premium. For the same reason they'll try & sell you all kinds of other cover (hire car packages, etc) when you sign up.

I was involved in a non-fault, car/lorry interface just over 3yrs ago, but no claims were made as the only real damage was a minor dent & respray needed to my SEAT Ibiza. Panicking like a fool I notified Elephant who were my insurer at the time, thinking I might be in trouble if the 3rd party tried to make anything of it & I hadn't reported it. Following that, my premium shot up the following year, but I shopped around and found several insurers who didn't factor it.

Your situation sounds different of course since it was obviously a more serious incident and a claim was made... still I reckon it's always worth shopping around when it comes to insurers.

Happily I got a decent quote from Elephant this year for the S, as I hadn't conformed to the statistics and had another accident within 3yrs (I had seen the 5yr thing on their website, but on the phone was happy to go with 3yrs...) So they will eventually come round it seems, if you can keep your record clean.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:00 AM

We should have a mythbuster insurance thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Jel

Something doesnt quite add up here.

If your insurer gets a full recovery from the third party company there is no reason for this to affect your future premium whatsoever. Are you sure it isnt just a general rate rise?

TBH most telephone monkeys at these cos dont know their arse from their elbow, they purely read out the computer generated figure and therefore would have no idea whatsoever the 'underwriting' that has gone on. I work in innsurance, sadly, and am constantly amazed by new levels of total incompetence.

Thing is most folk on the street have a fairly twisted idea of how motor insurance operates and think insurers are all 'out to get them'. Sure the system isn't without it's flaws, but it the fairest way of working it. The adage of no claim not no blame stands, but I retiterate when there's a full recovery this does (should) not apply.

Only lesson here is stay away from the Admiral group of insurers (Elephant, Bell, Diamond etc)

Edited for spelling and to add, as I have said many times before, insurance should be bought on cover not price!!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jel,Jul 2 2008, 06:20 AM
If your insurer gets a full recovery from the third party company there is no reason for this to affect your future premium whatsoever. Are you sure it isnt just a general rate rise?
This is the reason I rang Bell this morning as it didn't seem right. Its definitely not a general rise as I was getting quotes of
Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jel,Jul 2 2008, 03:20 PM
Only lesson here is stay away from the Admiral group of insurers (Elephant, Bell, Diamond etc)

These shits still haven't paid out for a none fault claim in Jan, they are a complete waste of space, i wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.... PLEASE PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THESE COWBOYS
Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Jel

Theres a lot to be said for using a broker, i.e (in no order whatsoever)Adrian Flux, Sky, C Knott, Performance Direct, Warwick Davis etc.

If you buy bargain basement policies over the internet expect a similarly scaled down service and knowledge base
Old 07-02-2008, 07:51 AM

im with bell and the customer service is shocking - beyong imaginable it is that bad. I won't be using them ever again or anyone else in the same group, if i didn't need no claims so badly i would have just upped and changed by now...

some one drove into me this year and was all sorted on thier insurance... if they put MY insurance it will be yet another p*ss take in our rip off country
Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jel,Jul 2 2008, 06:20 AM
I'd like to, and I will probably end up having to when I renew, but for my situation where I own 2 cars their multicar policy has been beneficial to me, as annoyingly you have to build up you no claims policy PER CAR - so previously I was paying nearly as much on my 1.3 Civic TPFT as I was for my Teg Type-R full comp! Ridiculous!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tired one of the Brokers that S2KUK have a deal with such as Chris Knott ? If anything CKs price promise is to knock off 10% from your best renewal quote so you'd be saving around

Quick Reply: I hate insurance!