UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I hate insurance!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate insurance!

Well, signed for my S today and can collect it Saturday! yay. Just been serviced and given a clean bill of health (I should hope so!!), just waiting for MOT to be sorted and 2 new fronts and it's mine!

Bad news, insurance, last year I was involved in a completely non fault accident where I was stationary and had a car run into the back of me, he admitted blame right there and insurance details were swapped and everything sorted - my NCB's were not affected, I didnt have to pay excess. My car was written off but I bought it back as it was just body damage which we repaired in about 3-4 hours with a hammer , it wasn't worth the body shop repairing it as it was an old 97 Peugeot 406. The payout basically gave me 3 years free motoring!

Now, as far as I was concerned and what the insurer told me, the accident would not be held against me - I was even told I didnt have to mention it to insurers!! But after trying to get insurance sorted from Elephant for
Old 07-01-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mmmm, I wonder how I'll get on then after my run in with a kamikazi Polish bint? Make sure you post some updates mate, quite interested myself.

Remember though its a "NO CLAIMS discount, not a NO ACCIDENT discount".

(not my words, I wish to add!)
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25 PM

You'll find that statistics show that drivers involved in a crash are more likely to have another in two years following than someone that hasn't had any.

We all know it wasn't your fault, but insurance use figures like that to make their premiums appear more acceptable.....
Old 07-02-2008, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by sean_f,Jul 2 2008, 06:25 AM
You'll find that statistics show that drivers involved in a crash are more likely to have another in two years following than someone that hasn't had any.

We all know it wasn't your fault, but insurance use figures like that to make their premiums appear more acceptable.....
Spot on
Old 07-02-2008, 12:18 AM

Insurance companies are all the same, they want money for everything.

The same goes for protecting your NCB, if you have a crash you don't lose your NCB but they still hammer you on the premium so anyone who pays for protected NCB is mental IMO, all its doing is giving them more money.

My missus has just got her NCB back after a non fault claim and 3 years discount equated to
Old 07-02-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is precisely what happened to me. A no fault accident (an Oz ran into the back of me whilst I was waiting in traffic at a roundabout) cost me an additional
Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 AM

Ok, spoke to Bell this morning, the girl on the other end was rather helpful.

She said there is not much that can be done as 'statistics' show that I'm more likely to have an accident (I really dont know how considering my car was stationary at the time, I think its just a con to charge you more money!). Looks like I'll have to swallow the costs for this year.

I did a check on Insurance Supermarket to get an idea of what my insurance may be like next year by adding an extra years NCB and a year to my age (30 ) and it looks like my premiums will drop to around
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 AM

Ahh yes, S.T.A.T.I.S.T.I.C.S

Obviously the Sister of:

Based on insurance company discrimination, surely everyone can jump on the bandwagon and make up who they want to hire/fire.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Jul 2 2008, 12:43 AM
Ahh yes, S.T.A.T.I.S.T.I.C.S
Surely there should be an insurance ombudsman or something to prevent this kind of blatent 'price fixing'. I'm no more of a risk that before and my 10 years of claim free driving should prove that!! (touch a big piece of wood!)

It does make me feel like writing to someone, not that it will do much good, but it should be looked into and the statistics laid on the table for everyone to see.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 AM

[QUOTE=SlimJ GBR,Jul 2 2008, 09:37 AM] Surely there should be an insurance ombudsman or something to prevent this kind of blatent 'price fixing'.

Quick Reply: I hate insurance!