UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I got pulled - Longish

Old 08-28-2002, 04:14 AM
tnt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mark Turner
I just had to sit there and take it because I knew I'd simply be creating more trouble for myself if I gave him any lip and a reason to book me.
I've only been pulled over once by the police (I was on the motorway in the inside lane indicating to pull out and this stupid car refused to move into the outside lane even though it was safe to do so. I pulled out immediately behind him to avoid having to reduce my speed any further and the next thing I know I am looking at a Police Stop sign in the back window of the car. Yep....an unmarked police car .

I felt like remonstrating with him that if he had moved into the outside lane to let me out then this wouldn't have happened but I bit my lip, touched the old forelock, said "Yes Sir, No Sir" a few times and he left it at that.

It's a shame I had to do it but there is no way I would ever get into an argument with a copper, unless I had a lot of witnesses. It just isn't worth the risk

I have a lot of respect for our police force, who have an extremely difficult job to do that I would never be able to do in a month of Sundays. Compared to police forces in other countries I far prefer ours. It's just a shame that they don't work on their PR a bit more.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old was he?

Corroboration is required for speeding which usually means one copper corroborated by a calibrated speedo, video or other device. Two officers standing at the same point (On foot) can give evidence that in their opinion you were exceeding 30mph without having to give estimated speed. This is rarely if ever used and probably what you're thinking of when you think it has to be 2 officers. You can still be done for it Liam as long as you get an N.I.P. within 14 days, although that seems unlikely. If he was taking that course he would have told you he was reporting you, cautioned you, and noted your reply. He'd certainly have asked you to produce your docs too.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:26 AM

Only saw the bit of the video when I speeded up through the lights, it showed 42MPH at that point. He didn't show me it from when I pulled out to when he continued to increase speed till he was sat up my arse.

He was probably about 30 and he didn't read me any rights (when I got done before remember they ask you if you had any coments and note them down etc), take any notes, didn't ask my name and didn't give me a producer......
Old 08-28-2002, 04:26 AM

Have I also heard somewhere that If he gets out of his car and does not have his hat on even if its 110'c he is not allowed to fine you or even arrest you in some cases. Is this the score or is that just crap?
Old 08-28-2002, 04:29 AM

You were lucky to get away with a caution, Liam. I also once got stopped by lone TO in an unmarked Volvo with video - on a deserted motorway - and got a a FP of
Old 08-28-2002, 04:44 AM

Most powers given to coppers in relation to road traffic powers for example the power to stop vehicles are given to a 'Constable in uniform). All ranks carry the powers of a constable. Many powers of arrest, again road traffic related and Public Order related in the main, are also only given to a 'Constable in uniform' He should be wearing his hat or he's not 'In uniform'. I had an encounter with a young copper at 1a.m. one morning which left me seething. There's a right and wrong way to go about these things. I saw a copper out in the middle of a junction the other day directing traffic with no hat on.... totally unprofessional!
Old 08-28-2002, 05:00 AM

I always carry a disposable camera in my car to take photos of the accident scene should the worst happen. I've actually used this once when I ran into the back of someone - it was a daylight, v. low speed, downhill, wet road thing, and thankfully nobody was hurt. The car in front only had one brake light working (it was still working after impact), and I was able to get photos of this by getting the driver to push his brake pedal while I was behind his car taking photos. I sent the photos in and the insurance company's solicitors did the rest.

After hearing some of the experiences on this thread, I'm wondering whether I should keep a dictaphone or some other tape recorder as well, just in case I meet some idiot policeman who gives me unreasonable grief. I'd notify the party to be recorded beforehand, but I can't see that being a problem. If everything they have to say to me is above board then they cannot object to being recorded surely. It probably wouldn't carry much weight if things ended up in court, but perhaps it would make them more cautious about making unjustified remarks.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:33 AM

I've got no problem with a copper doing his job, even if I'm on the wrong end of it, but I do expect him to carry out his job with the restraint and dignity which the office calls for. Shouting and swearing do nothing to improve any situation. No disrespects to Liam, but I know there are two sides to these accounts so I'm always a little wary of them. I have however had a couple of encounters of my own which I frankly would have had difficulty believing had they come from a third party. Anyway the sun's shining so I'm gonna drop the top and go clip a few apexes, all at legal speeds of course.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:12 AM
Ade

I'd be tempted to write to the Chief Constable. This policeman has done nothing to enhance the reputation of the police force. If he swore at you then he has committed an offence himself. If your girlfriend overheard the remarks then get her to write as well, to confirm what you say.

I think we need a good police force in this country. Jerks who behave like this are not welcome.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:14 AM

Exactly - a lot of it comes down to professionalism at the end of the day. There are few jobs where professionalism is more important than the police. They should set an example.

Have a good one out in the sunshine, Cedric !

Quick Reply: I got pulled - Longish