UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I got my S back....

Old 08-02-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and please dont compare me t drunk drivers or scum it snot like im some guy who never insures his car ive held insurance since i was 17 years old and im now 24.. i hate people who drink and drive so dont come off comparing me to them because for 70 miles i had to just drive my car from here to there, sorry that i had to come to a new country with far different rules... if we were in the states it would have insurance.. it has it
its just that progressive wouldnt handle the claim over here...
Old 08-02-2005, 01:23 PM

i know how it works
we tried to pair insurance to get a deal when we got the civic but my ins card says ins for my old hatch and s2k.. i still have that
technically its insureded like i said
Old 08-02-2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by evan2,Aug 2 2005, 09:23 PM
i know how it works
we tried to pair insurance to get a deal when we got the civic but my ins card says ins for my old hatch and s2k.. i still have that
technically its insureded like i said
If I understand you correctly you have insurance in the U.S. but your insurance company doesn't cover you outside the U.S.?

So despite what your U.S. insurance card says, you do not have insurance in the U.K. technically or not, end of story!

If you're finding it expensive to get insurance at least get 3rd party so if you have an accident that is your fault then other other person can claim off your insurance. Driving isn't a right over here, its a privilege.

If you have any kind of minor bump where insurance is required or get stopped by the traffic police and asked for your licence and insurance, you'll be parking your car at the side of the road and driving no further as soon as they discover you're uninsured.

If your licence isn't valid over here as well, you're risking a ban. Drive while banned and you'll be arrested etc. etc. You can try your excuses about how its difficult as you've just come over here and all the rules are different blah blah blah, that should give the copper a laugh or two

Oh yeah, grahamb is right about uninsured and drink drivers being scum of the earth.

Safe motoring, keep it on the left
Old 08-02-2005, 11:46 PM

Good luck getting insured mate, you think petrols exspensive wait till you see the quote for your insurance. at your age on a US import expect to pay the equivalent of $3,000!!!

Oh by the way, you can't get road tax until you have insurance & an MOT!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:44 AM

One thing to bear in mind is don't leave the car on a public road without tax as this is still illegal and they can tow your car away....

To get tax you need an insurance certificate. If the car is over 3 years old you will need an MOT (basically a test of the cars road-worthiness; brakes, emissions etc). I don't think you need an SVA unless the car is staying here permanently (longer than a year).

I know you're new to the country so there are some things you won't be aware of, but had you been pulled over by the police you would now be looking at points/ driving ban (and they would probably impound the car if it isn't registered) so it would really be a good idea to find out what you need to do now.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/vehicles.htm

[QUOTE=DVLA]IMPORTING A VEHICLE
A vehicle which is permanently imported for use in Great Britain must be registered and licensed as soon as possible after it arrives in this country. The vehicle should not be used or kept on public roads until the licensing and registration formalities have been completed. However, if the vehicle needs to have an SVA (see section A "Type Approval") or MOT test in order to be registered, the vehicle may be driven to and from the pre-arranged test appointment. Thereafter, the vehicle must be kept off the road until the registration formalities have taken place. Application for registration should be made to your nearest DVLA Local Office. N.B It is not possible to offer an 'over the counter service'; registration usually takes between 48 to 72 hours.
A "brand new" vehicle can be driven to GB and registered as "new" provided the vehicle:
is registered in GB quickly after collection - this is taken to be 14 days but may be extended to one calendar month at peak periods (e.g. prior to 1st March and 1st September)
Only have reasonable delivery mileage and
Not have been previously "permanently" registered.
N.B. UK law requires a vehicle to be UK licenced and registered for road use. To avoid difficulties, importers are advised to transport, rather than drive their vehicles from the port to home or first destination and to keep them off the road until they have been properly licenced and registered.
For most new vehicles you must present evidence of Type Approval from the supplier or vehicle manufacturer, usually in the form of a Certificate of Conformity. If the vehicle has not been subject to Type Approval it must pass a Single Approval (SVA) Test.
VEHICLE REGISTRATION
The following documents will need to be submitted to the DVLA Local Office. (N.B. photocopies are NOT acceptable).
Completed application form V55/4* (for new vehicles) or V55/5 (for used vehicles).
A