UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I finally bit the bullet

Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I finally bit the bullet

I love my S2000, but there is one thing I have never been happy about ever since I had my first test drive in it: the seat position (I'm 6ft3).
I bought the car knowing it would be an issue that I was going have to sort out at some point. Never thought it would take me so long to make my mind up! (I bought the car in November last year)

I have been procrastinating over the various options for a few months, but thanks to all the good info on this forum, I concluded that in my circumstances I should give the BYS seat rails a go, my decision was driven by the following:
- I like the OEM look, and my seats are in good nick
- I think I can live with the slight change to lumbar support, which seems to be the main drawback with this solution
- whilst I considered the use of bucket seats, I concluded that I should either go all the way, with proper harness and roll bar, or not at all. I may still do this in the future if I catch the trackday bug, but felt it was OTT given my current use of the car.
- The DIY solution which involves a lot of cutting and hammering of the seat pan looks like a lot of hassle, and it is an irreversible process, so I ruled that one out as well.

Ideally I would have liked to lower the seat a little more than 20mm achieved by the BYS rails, but at 6ft3 I'm not that far from a comfortable position, and it might well be just right. I also have in the back of my mind the possibility of swapping the foam with a softer grade from an upholstery shop, I saw a post about this somewhere, and I reckon this would gain an extra inch if at all necessary.

After all that time hesitating and changing my mind on a weekly basis I have just ordered my rails from rhdjapan.com. I cannot wait to try the new seating position, I will report back on installation and findings for the benefit of the lanky ones out there!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd definitely be interested to hear how you get on- I remember you mentioning this at the meet a few months back about doing something with the seats and was pondering doing the same. Plus I'm just down the road so wouldn't mind having a look when done if that's alright

Simon
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 AM

I had one on my first S2k, I'm 6"2 and found the lumbar support fine. Although I've seen some people add washers to the front bolts to raise the leg supports a bit which might be an option if you don't get on with it.

Debating wether to get one for my current S2k, they are good but not sure if I can justify spending another £300+ for the sake of 20mm I did like the way it makes you feel as if you're sitting more inside the car though.. hmm
Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even as a short ass at 5ft 7", I still feel I sit far too high. Feel perched up, rather than sitting in the car like I did in my Z4 etc. Worse with the roof up.

Let me know how long they take to arrive, definitely something on my list if the car is a keeper.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:09 AM

I'm a lofty 6'6" and not surprisingly i'd be interested to know the outcome of these rails.. might invest in some for my drivers seat if they do give much of a drop
Old 05-10-2013, 01:25 AM

I've had a BYS's lowered rail for some time now, and it does help. I'm 6ft3 as well, and my problem was three fold.

1. My knees touch the underside of the steering wheel.
2. Because I sit so high in the car the rear view mirror obscures my view, creating a nice blind spot which has nearly caught me out on more than one occasion.
3. I don't really feel like I sit in the car, more on it.

I did post up a "How to Install" thread some years back, but I'll be buggered if I can find it again. I even took a selection of handy photos through the install process.

Something else to bare in mind. If your alarm unit sits under the drivers seat like mine did, they it forces the carpet up which catches on the rear of the seat, and stops you sliding the seat back and forth. Before I removed that nasty OEM alarm I had a couple of washers on the back to improve the clearance.

If I'm 100% honest I would still like mine to be a bit lower, and to go back a touch further. My knees are still too close to the steering wheel for my liking but without a different seat I don't think I'll ever get the perfect driving position.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You WILL need body washers under the front mountings if you are leggy (@ 6'3" it's difficult not to be!) - otherwise the lack of under-thigh support will be fucking agony after 20 miles. The angle then mimics the action of the regular Honda seat height adjusters and the seat pan won't stick to the carpet & refuse to move.

Honestly, the improvements to the eye line and general control layout will prove the car was optimised around JDM shortarses & it's well worth the (not inconsiderable) dough to adjust it for gangly roundeyes.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
You WILL need body washers under the front mountings if you are leggy (@ 6'3" it's difficult not to be!) - otherwise the lack of under-thigh support will be fucking agony after 20 miles. The angle then mimics the action of the regular Honda seat height adjusters and the seat pan won't stick to the carpet & refuse to move.

Honestly, the improvements to the eye line and general control layout will prove the car was optimised around JDM shortarses & it's well worth the (not inconsiderable) dough to adjust it for gangly roundeyes.
I'm a shortarse 5'7 but still feel that the OEM position is a little too high, maybe the Jap's they calibrated it with had short torsos?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 AM

Or no necks.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by drives
I'd definitely be interested to hear how you get on- I remember you mentioning this at the meet a few months back about doing something with the seats and was pondering doing the same. Plus I'm just down the road so wouldn't mind having a look when done if that's alright

Simon
No probs Simon, you're welcome to come and have a look, I'll let you know once I complete the installation.
That reminds me, we should arrange another meet soon now the weather is improving a little bit. Given the weather we had last time we must be owed a good one!
Plus I need any excuse to take the car out, I've only done about 500 miles since November!

Quick Reply: I finally bit the bullet