UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I can't decide between tyres

Old 02-26-2004, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm having a toss between

Goodyear Eagles or Avon ZZ3's

Here is the info on the ZZ3's

225/50 ZR16 92 W actual tread width is 233mm
205/55 ZR16 91 W actual tread width is 214.00

Anyone have any data on the Eagles?

I need to make a decision soon
Old 02-26-2004, 03:56 AM

Shouldn't you be going for 245's on the rear ??
Old 02-26-2004, 04:11 AM

conventional wisdom suggest this........I am 'experimenting' and using the track day to test
Old 02-26-2004, 04:27 AM

Have a look on tyretest.com.
Although all the results are subjective, it looks like the ZZ3s are worse in the wet than the S02, but they are Avons, so you'd expect it. They also don't seem to be rated too well in the dry.
The F1s and ZZ3s don't seem to be very comparable to me
If you want dry weather performance, then maybe compare ZZ3 to S02, for more all weather use, I'd consider the F1 or the Toyo T1-S.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:34 AM
GSi

I'd be interested in your buying the Avons and then letting me know how they wear and compare to the S02s
Old 02-26-2004, 04:37 AM

mmmm I would hazard a guess that I am probably in the minority in not placing the most emphasis on outright grip.....I like to feel the car moving around underneath me....I am more interested in how progressive they are to the limit...not too concerned with how high that limit happens to be....

Still might end up going for Goodyear now having read some of those reviews
Old 02-26-2004, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by zero_to60
........I am 'experimenting' and using the track day to test
Try before you buy ?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by euan
Try before you buy ?
Try......ing to get on CC's list.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by zero_to60
mmmm I would hazard a guess that I am probably in the minority in not placing the most emphasis on outright grip.....I like to feel the car moving around underneath me....I am more interested in how progressive they are to the limit...not too concerned with how high that limit happens to be....

Still might end up going for Goodyear now having read some of those reviews
Have to agree with Zero on this one.

More grip does not necessarily mean more fun.

I am more interested in feel and how progressivley the grip is lost as you tighten your line, squeeze the throttle or whatever.

I intend to put 225 Goodyear Eagle F1s on the back as soon as the current S02s are worn.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:19 AM

here is the info on the tyre:-

Avon Launch New ZZ3

Avon is launching its new top-of-the-range ZZ3 tyre, featuring a specially formulated silica carbon performance tread compound designed to ensure maximum handling and control in both wet and dry conditions.

Utilising the technology of racing wet grip compounds as a benchmark for developing the unique tread compound, the ZZ3 has been extensively tested and was recently selected as sole OE fitment for the new TVR Tamora. The ZZ3 is being launched during the first quarter of 2002.

"The ZZ3 includes the most comprehensive features and greatest benefits of any tyre we have manufactured," said David Craig, European Marketing Manager at Cooper Avon Tyres. "The features and benefits work together to provide first class wet and dry handling performance."

The Avon ZZ3's unique directional diagonal arteries are designed to discharge water from the heart of the contact area, in wet conditions, thus helping prevent aquaplaning. In addition, the angle of the tread grooves have been calculated and designed to give exceptional wet traction and handling characteristics. To give an ultra quiet performance, the tread elements have been sequentially tuned and the tread groove angles specifically designed to minimise pattern noise. Opti-Noise software has also been used to reduce tonality.

In high performance conditions, the low hysteresis undertread compound of the ZZ3 is specially formulated to reduce heat build up. Additionally, the central backbone of the tread pattern provides exceptional directional stability and rapid steering response while the shoulder blocks in the tread elements are designed for maximum lateral stability.

The Avon ZZ3 is available from Cooper Avon dealers nationwide in 28 sizes ranging from 225/60 R 15 to 265/35 R 18.

I will be 'testing' this tyre at Keevil

Quick Reply: I can't decide between tyres