UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

I`m in the market for an S2000 - expert help please! (newbie alert!!!)

Old 07-21-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all
firstly I`m in the UK.

I`m new to the S2000 environment - I`m in the market for a used/new s2k.
I want a grey with black/red interior or grey with just black or just red interior.

I`ve just seen a 2000 W with 8k on the clock (2 prev owners) for
Old 07-21-2002, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Errm... firstly its Silverstone, lets not be having any of that grey lark, its a fantastic colour, in sunlight its a very bright silver but when its overcast it can look grey.

I think that price is a little steep although the mileage is low, did you factor that into the parkers qoute. If your buying used check that the recalls have been done (toneau cover and drivers seatbelt) also check that the clutch and gearbox are fine, the car does exhibit some gearbox whine but if you think its too loud then it could need a clutch replacement.

Check the wheels closely as some people have reported alloys corroding.

Ask where that dink came from and make them get it removed, it cost me
Old 07-21-2002, 10:00 AM

Firstly - thanks for the reply.

Silverstone.....sorry!

I had a good check on the alloys - they are ok. The ones on my MR2 were taking life a little badly and after just 2 years a corrosion of some sort had begun, so I know what you mean - they were fine on this vehicle though.

The dink was the sort you asscociate with anothe car hitting the door....just visible when looking down the body line of the car from the rear.

I will listen out for the whining, as my non educated ears didn`t really know what to listen out for....the MR2 was a *lot* different. Not as, how can I put it..`crazy`? The engine roared above 6k and sounded sweet to me. No noticable gear location issues.

I will consider the bits and bobs as extras...I feel 22k for a used 00 is high. The stories a little longer and more annoying - in summary - they told me it was on at
Old 07-21-2002, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a W reg silverstone/black and, if it had only 8,000 miles on, I'd be expecting to get around
Old 07-21-2002, 10:21 AM

Offer 'em the deal. they'll either take it or meet you half way.

The noise to listen for is a sort of drone, particularly noticeable when decelerating at around 3-4 K revs in 2nd and 3rd gear. Mine does it to a degree but it ir's quite acceptable, in fact I lke it, ...it sounds great. Remember this is a pretty raw car with the transmission tunnel right by the side of you, so it's not a quiet car by any means!
Old 07-21-2002, 11:29 AM

Do you think offer the 20.5k is reasonable for the used 00 2k? I want to be realistic. I think 20.5 is realistic, as the book on it is 19.5 dealer for a higher mileage...

I`ll see what gives, but my ceiling for *this* vehicle will be 20.5

If this doesn`t happen, 1 will soon enough
Old 07-21-2002, 12:44 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Hi and welcome!

If you spend time browsing you'll find out what we think of cars. Suffice to say we are of like mind about the S2000 but - quite rare - not closed minded: we appreciate what Imprezas and Boxsters are all about too . It's just we have a common set of criteria which include price and fun, and above all we appreciate a car which gives back what you put in, and is not there to drive for itself

To cut to the chase, at least two of us here (me and gdowsett-uk) are trying to sell S2000s privately. Mine in black, his in Silverstone grey with black interior and low mileage. I suggest you check this thread and just in case you can find Glass's values here. Your dealer bloke is indeed trying it on. They all do this in the sales side, although at least some of them are ok on the service side.

See ya round.

Rog

ps. Gary, 5% finder's fee we said? Or did we agree to differ?
Old 07-21-2002, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you should consider importing one. For about
Old 07-21-2002, 01:44 PM

it seems a lot of money for a 2 year old car,

I did not intend to get a new one, I could not accept that a 2 year old car (not perfect) was 85% the price of a new - so eventually I ordered a new one and got the warranty/peace of mind.

check for any tiny evidence of crash damage/repair - I'm sure that there must be quite a few repair jobs kicking about by now.

next time I ever buy a 2nd hand car from a dealer I am going to take a dictaphone with me to get all their sales "puff" on tape to be held as evidence against.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:39 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally posted by arsie
ps. Gary, 5% finder's fee we said? Or did we agree to differ?
Ok, settle for a pint of lager and packet of crisps. 5% of the value of your beast by Glass's guide

Quick Reply: I`m in the market for an S2000 - expert help please! (newbie alert!!!)