UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hub Nuts

Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub Nuts

Afternoon all, I am going to get my car serviced next week and I am wondering if it is worth getting the garage to tighten my hub nuts at the same time. I'm not aware of there being an issue with my nuts, however, there is a constant rumble from my rear end which and I'm not sure what it is, hence my wonderings as to whether to get my nuts tightened. I know the factory setting is about 150 - 180ft lbs and was considering getting them torqued to maybe 250 - 300 ft lbs.

Its a '56 with approx 56k

Cheers all for your thoughts
Old 11-14-2013, 04:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelParkinson
Afternoon all, I am going to get my car serviced next week and I am wondering if it is worth getting the garage to tighten my hub nuts at the same time. I'm not aware of there being an issue with my nuts, however, there is a constant rumble from my rear end which and I'm not sure what it is, hence my wonderings as to whether to get my nuts tightened. I know the factory setting is about 150 - 180ft lbs and was considering getting them torqued to maybe 250 - 300 ft lbs.

Its a '56 with approx 56k

Cheers all for your thoughts
I could be wrong here, but this is my opinion.

I would ask the garage to get the car up in the area and check your hubs. see if they are loose. (They should never loosen as the nuts are normally crushed into the spline groove to prevent rotation.
Have you checked wheel balance / Condition of bushes / overall inspection of whole rear end?

Also, why would you want to over torque the nuts soo much... I dont know the spec of the thread or nuts Honda use, but there would be a very good reason they chose the factory figures. Working for an OEM myself, I see daily the level of detail used to design and spec each part from whole subframes to small fixings.

Good luck and hope you find the reason for your rear end wobble.
If you find the cause of the "rumble" do post up as it is always interesting to see the cause.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:43 AM

One of the reasons I'm considering having them tightened is I came across a DIY thread from Billman which mentions that the factory torque is not tight enough and Honda revised it to about 220 ft lbs which apparently is still not tight enough, and can still lead to premature wear. Others have stated they have had theirs done - albeit they have had issues with clicking from their hub prior to having this done

cheers
Old 11-14-2013, 05:07 AM

Just had a quick look on google and could be worth checking if Honda did a service notice.
Personal opinion though is get new hub nuts. Never been a fan of re-using them.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 AM

There was a TSB released in the US I believe stating that if customers are experiencing a clicking sound coming from the rear axle to tighten the nuts to 220ft/lbs from the factory 180. That can sometimes sort it. I had the clicking and new hub nuts and re-torquing to the higher spec but it didn't sort it and I needed new hubs, bearings, carriers and hub nuts on both sides. Honda UK paid for half of it though so I was happy enough.

If it's rumbling it could be something else but worth re-torquing them regardless, new nuts are only about a fiver each and they will need plenty of grease applied too.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:05 AM

This takes about 15 mins to DIY- if you don't have a long extension bar and the right size socket I bought the right tools for about 20 quid all in off Ebay. The DIYs on the forum are pretty self explanatory. Or just tell the garage to follow the billman method? I, like you, read up on it on the US forum, and for the sake of how easy it is, I did it anyway even though I didn't have any issues. I didn't bother with new hub nuts- just re-staked the old ones
Old 11-14-2013, 06:38 AM

Well seems ill be putting my new torque wrench to the test this weekend and doing mine.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You wont need a torque wrench, just remove the nuts, grease the face and re fit them to the std markings, then tighten a further 60 degrees that's it job done.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the clicking issue and a re torque made it go away for a few weeks but didn't go permanently until I put new hub nuts on.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 AM

Cheers for the replies. Will have a word with the garage when I am there as they are getting the wheels off anyway. If they aren't happy to do it then will do myself as it does seem easy enough to do and it seems to be a recommended job to do as a matter of course

Quick Reply: Hub Nuts