UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How well does your HT fit?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How well does your HT fit?

How good dose your hard top fit?

Because mine seems well to loose, it seems to be nice and tight at the back but it rattles and moves side to side at the front when you hit abit of a bump.

I have replaced the catches as the old ones looked worn and it made no difference.

Do you think I should replace the hooks aswell??
Old 12-02-2013, 12:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the how to guide take your catchers adjustable, loads of info on this if you search for it
Old 12-02-2013, 01:20 AM

That's the problem though I've tried to adjust it all but I'm still having no joy maybe I'm doing it wrong or something lol
Old 12-02-2013, 01:38 AM

I had this problem, just used a bit of 6-8mm fishtank airline piping slide it over the hooks. Stopped mine making noise. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

Thanks

Chris
Old 12-02-2013, 02:19 AM

Ye I've read about that I tried it on Friday then on the way to the jdm north meet an oulton park it started knocking again lol I'm not having much luck with it that's why I thort I would ask lol

Cheers anyway though
Old 12-02-2013, 02:28 AM
MSC

Problem with adjusting the catchers to accommodate the hardtop is the softtop might then end up too tight to fasten. As someone said you need some thick piping over the hooks, there sho9uld be considerable tension as your close the catch. You need to make sure the piping is on the hook properly, not just the first bit but round the curve of the hook also as thats where the contact is made.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:45 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

You can remove the brackets from the HT and mod them but... They are on f@#king tight on mine so I can't

That's probable what jimmy refers to
Old 12-02-2013, 03:41 AM

Hmmmm I was thinking about trying to mod them so I can screw it in and out lol but I'm not sure how I would (yet) lol an it's not a cheep fix if I mess it up!! Lol
Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 AM

Sorry, mod the hook I mean ^ lol
Old 12-02-2013, 04:40 AM

Received 136 Likes on 115 Posts

I had exactly this problem and sorted it within a 1/2 hour on Friday. Fiddling around with the front catches won't make much difference in my experience, I have tried that. You need to adjust the rear catches. Here's how: look behind the levers where you fasten the hardtop at the back. There is a panel behind 200mm* 300mm or so, this can be pulled off with the hardtop on. It sits with 4 plastic pop rivets, one in each corner. Start at the front edge and peel it off. Then it is secured with a plastic clip to the rear bottom corner. Pull up and it should come off. Move seats forward to improve access. Be careful so you don't damage any of the heating wires in the rear screen.

Once the panel is off you can very clearly see three bolts. These are the hardtop adjustment bolts. Start with undoing the hardtop front clips. Then undo the adjustment bolts. Push the hardtop back as much as possible. Have a mate to push the hardtop down, or you can probably pull it down when tightening the bolts. Do both sides and then fasten the hardtop at the front, the catches should be firmer. If not then use the hose trick, I had to do it on the passenger side.

The workshop manual tells you what the tolerances are i.e. what the gap should be between car rear wing and hardtop but I reckon you'll be OK if you push it down.

This tweak should have no impact on the soft top closure.

Quick Reply: How well does your HT fit?