UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How To Test Your Laser Detector

Old 07-21-2004, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works!
Many thanks - I had always wondered!
Old 07-21-2004, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by mikerich,Jul 21 2004, 01:45 PM
It works!
Indeed is does. The only question is why it has failed to detect the last two mobile traps I've driven through? I have the detector positioned near the rearview mirror at the top of the screen, but I am wondering if this is actually the best place to put it...
Old 07-21-2004, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by daern,Jul 21 2004, 03:37 PM
Indeed is does. The only question is why it has failed to detect the last two mobile traps I've driven through? I have the detector positioned near the rearview mirror at the top of the screen, but I am wondering if this is actually the best place to put it...
I have mine in the same position. I could not think of anywhere else in the cabin where you would get front and rear vision. Understand that Hampshire police have a habit of shooting you in the back.

Have yet to go through a mobile trap briskly - but presumably they only trigger them if the traffic stream is more than somewhat over the limit?
Old 07-21-2004, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mikerich,Jul 21 2004, 03:02 PM
I have mine in the same position. I could not think of anywhere else in the cabin where you would get front and rear vision. Understand that Hampshire police have a habit of shooting you in the back.

Have yet to go through a mobile trap briskly - but presumably they only trigger them if the traffic stream is more than somewhat over the limit?
The last two, I have been on my own (i.e. not in a line). You'd have thought they'd give it a quick blast on a solo sports car - after all, it's easy picking (grumble, grumble).
Old 07-21-2004, 08:37 AM

Just tried it with my phone (Nokia 6820) and it doesn't work
Mmmmm...... What phones have made it work correctly ??? and should this matter surely they all use IrDA or is my install bodged ?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikerich,Jul 21 2004, 03:02 PM

I've taken my laser detector off as I find it distracting unless fitted at the top of the windscreen (which apparently is a poor position as coppers aim for your numberplate) and the chances of actually responding in time when the day arrives are minimal IMO. Having said that, as I soon as I get caught by a laser totting copper then I'm sure I'll put it back on again
Old 07-21-2004, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried it with my old Nokia 6150 with no luck. Have also tried a variety of remotes before with no response.

As it came alive on me last week when going down the M3 outside Basingstoke and I couldn't see a laser van, I hope the Hampshire lot aren't targeting people from behind The camera partnership data for Hampshire don't show them using mobile cameras on the M3 so fingers crossed I await a NIP with trepidation.

I position mine down at the bottom of the screen as I also heard they aim for the numberplate and as the beam has so little divergence you need to be as closely aligned as possible. It still has a clear shot through the rear window for the rear looking sensor (although if the wind deflector up any beam has that to go through as well).
Old 07-21-2004, 11:16 AM

Tried it with a SE T68i and a SE K700 and got no response.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My T68i sets off the laser detector plus the K & X band of my "traditional" Bell990i every time I make a call! . Plus I know it works from being targetted by a plod on the A3 on the way back from Goodwood! They usually take two or three shots to confirm speed. If you pick up the first one and react you can usually scrub off a fair bit of speed! Mine works from the front and rear, do the Origin's?
Old 07-21-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Jul 21 2004, 07:50 PM
Mine works from the front and rear, do the Origin's?
Yes, they should do.

Having tested the install in the S, I find it works well, but it's very sensitive, especially to direction of the laser hit. I wonder if it needs to be moved? I do wonder if it's worth fitting the thing outside of the car, near the number plate...

Other B2 owners (especially those with two detectors): How do you find the laser detection on the B2 compared with other devices?

Quick Reply: How To Test Your Laser Detector