UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How soon can you wax a new car.....

Old 06-03-2004, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jaeger
Good point from the wash & wax forum.
Ask the dealers not to detail the car before you pick it up. Make your own scratches and swirls when you get it.
That's what I did with my last one but then the car went in for a service and although I told them not to wash it they did by accident. I also asked the dealer for my new car to wash it and he was not too willing claiming Honda would be very unhappy because the dealership get some sort of bonus for prepping the car etc. I told him not to touch it or the order would not be placed. In the end he relented.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:43 PM

First day I got my car it got the full treatment to remove all the crap. IIRC the car is fully valleted and polished by the dealer before you take delivery anyway! Hence the reason for me doing a 'proper' polish and wax
Old 06-04-2004, 12:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dreamer
You were !?
Old 06-04-2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by moff
First day I got my car it got the full treatment to remove all the crap. IIRC the car is fully valleted and polished by the dealer before you take delivery anyway! Hence the reason for me doing a 'proper' polish and wax
I reckon some 16 year old had prepared mine, had residue all over the place, still keep finding it
Old 06-04-2004, 01:02 AM

Dreamer don't listen to them, get straight out there and cleaning.

First you need to wash with some washing up liquid, then a clay bar, then wash with zaino wash then ZFX, then Z2, then z5, then z2, then z5, then z2, then z5, then z2, then z5, then z2 and finally finish off with some z5

You never know, you may even just make it to the big meet after all that
Old 06-04-2004, 01:11 AM

......ideally also Z6-ing between each coat of Z2 and Z5.

Set aside a day and don't plan to do anything that evening!
Old 06-04-2004, 01:14 AM

Sorry Mr T,

I get confused with all these numbers
Old 06-04-2004, 01:59 AM

Just wash it with Zymol shampoo and use P21S
Old 06-04-2004, 02:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

rahul,

all cars which are resprayed properly nowadays are baked for 2 reasons. one to harden the paint, and also to speed up the painting time. however, whether it be factory paint or repray paint you should wait at least 4 weeks for the paint to fully harden before polishing. when paint is baked, the solvent comes out of the top layer much faster than the bottom layer and even when a car has been through a bake cycle there will still be solvent trapped under the top layer of the paint which will take up to 4 weeks before it gradually diffuses through the top layer of paint. if you polish too soon you will trap this solvent in and if you park in the sun you can end up with micro blisters and cratering where the solvent has heated up and burst through the paint. the paint will also not have reached its full hardness until all the solvent is out. water based paints can be even worse.

richard

Originally posted by rahula
Let me give you my know how because as some might know I am the new polishing guy with some answers. You can wash, polish and wax a car from the moment a car leaves the factory. The reason is that the paint is hardened and a clear coat is applied. The only time you need to let paint cure is if you have a respray which has not been baked. You could then wash the car as normal and polish with polymer based polish but you can't apply any wax. The reason for the last step is that wax seals the paint and it does not allow the paint to breathe. This is crucial for new paint but not factory paint. HTH.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:32 AM
PSC

When my car arrived (Just the other Day ) the top half of the car was covered with (white) plastic, the wheels were shrinkwrapped in clear plastic and the bottom half of the car seemed to be covered in a preservative (wax ?). So I can't see the paint curing much on the ship

-- Paul

Quick Reply: How soon can you wax a new car.....