UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HOW TO: retro fitting facelift centre console and making the HRW (demister) button work!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO: retro fitting facelift centre console and making the HRW (demister) button work!

I've been trying to sort out the wiring to retro fit the HRW button on the facelift centre console I've bought, but only managed to mess it up (a trip to the local garage got it up and running again!). Not one to be defeated I've come up with a fool proof way of fitting the button that doesn't involve any modding of the electrics.

The idea is, to use the existing button and put the top of the new button on it, so it will look like the new button but use the old button's electrics.

What I've done so far (Bit of a "how to" if anyone else wants to attempt it)...

Here's the pre-facelift switch you'll have:

Take the top off it (prise it with a little screwdriver and it'll come off, the you'll have this:

This bit is skipping ahead a bit with the facelift button, as I didn't take pics at this point, but what i've done is, take the top off the button (again it will just prise off, you don't need to dremel the whole switch like i did, only to realise it just pops off! doh!), then you'll need to dremel out the button to make it smooth inside (without the plastic ridge - this will make sense when you see it). You'll then need to sand/file down the clear plastic part that fits in the little hole where the "on" light shines through, you'll want to get this as flat as you can, then glue it in place (you want the inside of the switch as flush as possible). What i've also done is take the orange plastic light filter from the inside facelift button (you'll see it when you take the top off, it just peels off) and stuck it to the underside of the switch, this will make it illuminate orange when you put you sidelights on

You'll also notice i've put another little filter (below the orange one in the pic). I wasn't going to bother with this, but when i tested the button, when pressed the old button used to show a yellow/orange light to indicate it was "on" - this was white when i tested it, so to make it look more oem I took the top from the old button apart (the sticker part just pops off if you push it from the inside). I then cut it (just with scissors) and glued it to the inside of the new button where the light will shine through.

Quick test fit to see if the new top fits flush on the old button's body (fit's nice a neat!)

Next, take your old button's body, you'll see there's a ridge on it on one side that runs down the length of the button, you can see it in this pic:

Again, get your dremel out and sand that ridge down (you need to do this so the old button will fit in the new centre console), then you'll have this:

Then it fits in the new centre console

This is where i'm up to at the minute, you'll notice the old button is thinner than the new one, it'll fit perfect sideways, but the length of the top of the button is shorter. It sits flat due to the ridge running around the top of the switch. My plan is to glue this in place, then glue the new button's top (that I've now made so it'll sit on top of the old button) to the old button's body, and that should be it, existing switch, existing electrics, new top and new look

I haven't done this yet though, as because the button needs to be in the exact place so the lights shine through, I need to glue it in place whilst it's in the car connected (so i can line the light up), it's too cold tonight so i'll give that a go at the weekend I'll post pics when it's done, for now, here's what it will look like (the top is just placed on for now, but you get the idea), it sits a little higher than the original facelift button did, but only 2mm or so, not enough to bother me. I'll only be putting a couple of drops of super glue on it to hold it in place, enough to make it secure but not so much that it wouldn't come out if I ever needed to remove it for any reason.

I've searched and I don't think anyone's ever tried this method before, so hopefully it will help others that want to have a functional facelift centre console in their pre 04 cars
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM

Excellent wish I hadn't sold my old switch now
Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 AM

Ingenious, it really is Post up a photo once it's all fished & lit up please.

I shall attempt this at some point too For now, all I have done is pull the plug wiring from under the console and routed it down between the tunnel & seat, and wedged the button in. Works ok and is fairly hidden, perfect temp solution, lol
Old 01-22-2012, 05:02 AM

Thanks I've now fit the button and centre console in the car, all up and running I tried to glue it in place with superglue firstly, but it just wasnt strong enough (it kept coming loose when fitting the centre console into place), so I've glued it in place using 2 part epoxy, then glued the facelift button top in place with the same glue, it's fitted really solidly now. Really pleased with how its turned out, looks oem, here's some pics:

Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great idea and a good write up