UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How many owners managed to get new roof outside of 3yr warranty?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many owners managed to get new roof outside of 3yr warranty?

Hi, cut a long story short .... usual worn area in roof, tried to claim through dealer on used car warranty for new roof on my 56 plate around August last year.

Claim was rejected, dealer said they would let me have the roof at discount price BUT adding in their hourly rate the cost was approx £1500 (way too much for me).

They ended up paying for a patch to be glued in. All OK until today. I'd not put the foof down since the work was carried out as it was later in the year when it was done.

Nice day to day, quick trip to shops and thought I'd drop the roof. All ok when put back up. Go shop, then back in car, roof down and then home and put it back up. Patch is coming off after only putting the roof down twice! Not impressed.

Going to speak to dealer tomorrow BUT just wondered who (if anyone) has managed to get a new roof outside of warranty. I was told last year Honda would probably honour a claim with cars upto 4yrs old (so upto a yr outside new car warranty). Mine was just under 5yrs when I brought it to the dealers attention (not the dealer I bought from).

If I have any one with the similar I may have some ammunition whe I call them tomorrow.

cheers
Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I failed
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 PM

I succeeded on my second attempt - i.e. a second dealer who pushed HUK hard. They paid for the parts which included new catches,and I paid the labour. It wasn't cheap and certainly more than an after market hood. The car was less than 6 months out of the normal 3 year warranty.

D
Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 PM

My dealing with HUK resulted in them pretty much saying there will be no warranty on this roof premature wear as the last new car rolled out 3 years ago and it was never a 'real' problem here. The reason I've had a new one is down to it being purchased with a tear still there requiring fixing and a salesmans promise. The only thing that clinched it for me was the fact I pointed out Jack Smith will do it for £260, and they will pay for it if that's the end of the premature claim.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by ChilledBud
My dealing with HUK resulted in them pretty much saying there will be no warranty on this roof premature wear as the last new car rolled out 3 years ago and it was never a 'real' problem here. The reason I've had a new one is down to it being purchased with a tear still there requiring fixing and a salesmans promise. The only thing that clinched it for me was the fact I pointed out Jack Smith will do it for £260, and they will pay for it if that's the end of the premature claim.
Hi Chilled, I PMd you yesterday. You had previously mentioned in your thread about others having theirs replaced ..... do you know who? how many?

It's obviously acknowledged that their is a problem ..... while else would the dealer attempt a repair?

They are not obliged to do anything if it's wear/tear BUT Honda UK paid for my localised repair (as far as I'm aware) .... is that an admission that it's not normal wear and tear? you could say it's a gesture of goodwill BUT if they had just put a new tyre on and 5 miles down the road I had a puncture would they replace or even repair it FOC, I don't think so.

When discussing with dealer rep he mentioned having all new rails and cost being in the thousands! I did say I didn't want new rails etc ..... I assume you can keep all the rails and just put new material on? He also suggested I could end up with rattles if new hood put on with all new parts .... anyone had experience of an all new hood (all parts) and then having a rattly roof? :-)

Arrrgh :-)
Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
I failed
If you failed what was your solution? did you attempt a repair yourself? pay for aftermarket hood? leave it?

cheers
Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by number7
Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz' timestamp='1330035765' post='21444627
I failed
If you failed what was your solution? did you attempt a repair yourself? pay for aftermarket hood? leave it?

cheers
Mine hasn't worn through yet, but I plan on getting a wear patch fitted to the inside very soon to stop it going through as it is close. I've also fitted the bike chain guards that are meant to stop the frame rubbing when folded down.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by number7
anyone had experience of an all new hood (all parts) and then having a rattly roof? :-)

HUK standard approach, I was told, is that only the cloth assembly is replaced but it does include the glass window. So all frame and seals are the orginals. The only problem I had was that the old elastic straps were too weak for the new hood - Modifry's uprated straps fixed it.

D
Old 02-24-2012, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
Originally Posted by number7' timestamp='1330074887' post='21446167
[quote name='zzkamikazezz' timestamp='1330035765' post='21444627']
I failed

cheers
Mine hasn't worn through yet, but I plan on getting a wear patch fitted to the inside very soon to stop it going through as it is close. I've also fitted the bike chain guards that are meant to stop the frame rubbing when folded down.
[/quote]

Originally Posted by ogg2000
Originally Posted by number7' timestamp='1330074755' post='21446157

anyone had experience of an all new hood (all parts) and then having a rattly roof? :-)

HUK standard approach, I was told, is that only the cloth assembly is replaced but it does include the glass window. So all frame and seals are the orginals. The only problem I had was that the old elastic straps were too weak for the new hood - Modifry's uprated straps fixed it.

D
mine is just at the point where I can see a speck of daylight so was hoping to sort before it actually split.

Was happy just for new vinyl .... the dealer seemed to keep suggesting it was a whole new roof at a cost of about £3k.

Waiting on them to return a all from 8.40 this morning (-:
Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 AM

The parts for mine came to about £1800

Quick Reply: How many owners managed to get new roof outside of 3yr warranty?