UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How long do you wait before vtec

Old 08-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it let's you, DO IT....

And what is poodling about? Is that another term for dogging?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyNFRS2k
As per the title really...

How long do you usually wait for the engine/fluids to warm up before taking it into vtec?

I usually like to give it at least 20-25 mins of driving before going to 6k-7k rpm, and at least half an hour before 7k, 8k, 9k.

My mates say I'm paranoid, and I know I probably am, but I just think that the engine is spinning at such a high rpm that I don't want to "stretch its legs" until I'm 100% confident that everything is nice and warm.

Am I being just being stupid/OTT?

Or do other people do the same?

TIA
This post needs to be framed. I'm surprised you aren't out there with a hairdrier on it before you start it.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long do you usually wait for the engine/fluids to warm up before taking it into vtec?

I usually like to give it at least 20-25 mins of driving before going to 6k-7k rpm, and at least half an hour before 7k, 8k, 9k.

My mates say I'm paranoid, and I know I probably am, but I just think that the engine is spinning at such a high rpm that I don't want to "stretch its legs" until I'm 100% confident that everything is nice and warm.

TIA
What on earth do you do when you go shopping and leave the car for 30 minutes? You won't know where you are! Do you let it get completely cold and start the whole process again?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:13 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Yeah I tend to ignore the temp gauge, as I know that's the coolant temp - I go on the oil temp. So sticking with my 20-25 mins I'm safe then

Cheers Chaps!
20-25 mins! I'd be at work by then!!!

5 mins/miles tops, when the ECU lets you then it's ready.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

For me as soon as the coolant temp gauge hits the middle then it's vtec......yo!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by kw_21
Originally Posted by AndyNFRS2k' timestamp='1439373516' post='23712021

TIA
What on earth do you do when you go shopping and leave the car for 30 minutes? You won't know where you are! Do you let it get completely cold and start the whole process again?
Take my S shopping?! It's never seen a supermarket car park and never will.

I have been diagnosed with OCD so maybe it's a bit (or a lot) of that kicking in with the car
Old 08-12-2015, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by AndyNFRS2k' timestamp='1439373516' post='23712021

TIA
This post needs to be framed. I'm surprised you aren't out there with a hairdrier on it before you start it.
Don't give me ideas

You think I'm bad... one of my best mates has an Evo VI Tommi Makkinen edition and he is far more extreme than me when it comes to oil temps!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 AM

After having a Oil Temp gauge, it takes about 10 minutes of city driving to get the oil temperature up to around 75c which is about VTEC'ing temp.

If you drive it hard, Oil Temps get up to 105c hehe!

Max I ever had it was 117c on the track...new oil the next day!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work on the assumption that Honda stop VTEC from engaging until the water temp is at the correct level for a reason. If it would damage the engine to engage at that point then they would have stopped VTEC from engaging until the oil was at the correct temperature, or if the oil temperature isn't measured then delay VTEC engagement for a predetermined period of time after the water is at temp.

So I wait until the water temp gauge is at the correct level and then after a minute or two will use VTEC.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:55 AM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

About 2 years

Quick Reply: How long do you wait before vtec