UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How long do you wait before vtec

Old 08-12-2015, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I tend to ignore the temp gauge, as I know that's the coolant temp - I go on the oil temp. So sticking with my 20-25 mins I'm safe then

Cheers Chaps!
Old 08-12-2015, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by AndyNFRS2k
Yeah I tend to ignore the temp gauge, as I know that's the coolant temp - I go on the oil temp. So sticking with my 20-25 mins I'm safe then

Cheers Chaps!
I say I use my water temp gauge because I know when it's reached operating temperature for a few mins, that's 5-10 mins and I'm happy that the oil is hot enough too.

Used this method on my Civic VTi-S for years too.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:41 AM

As soon as the temp is on 3 bars I'm on it.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:51 AM

End of my drive
Old 08-12-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Once the coolant is upto temperature the standard heat exchanger will quickly start transferring coolant heat into the oil. I think 15 minutes is probably about right from stone cold but that means that the oil is warm and thin enough to do its job properly.

If i rag mine from cold you will find the oil bypass valve will struggle to keep up as the oil is so thick. The first few minutes of starting the car from cold are probably the most dangerous for oil cooler's and there lines as you risk over pressurising them.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
My old Alfa was the only car I've owned with an OEM oil temperature gauge. Lower quadrant of the large tach set dead center in the instrument panel. Multi viscosity oils (10w-30 and 5w-40 are spec) lubricate just fine at "low" temperatures and, as noted the ECU limits engine revs until it's at operating temperature in our cars.

The couple of miles to the expressway is enough to lubricate VTEC. That's 5-10 minutes.

-- Chuck
That lovely old lump was one of the most sensitive to oil temperature on engine life. IIRC, they just put on a huge alloy sump (bigger than your domestic V8s!) instead of a proper oil cooler, hence 10-mile warm-ups.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

S4 has an oil temp gauge and good oil temps are a good 10 mins after coolant.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Certainly all. 3 bars on water temp gauge and usually bit more .

But the other thing and most likely more important for the crank bearings is to avoid labouring the engine cold and to ensure revs are sufficiently high to keep the crank spinning freely. As I recall in the hand book Honda recommend a min engine rpm of 2000 in any case and I think more should be aimed for when cold.

Of course lots of cold starts are in any case bad for an engine
Old 08-12-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps someone could give some information as to why the oil needs to be 'up to temp' before engaging 'tec.

I would have assumed that colder oil temps would mean better lubrication abilities as colder would be more viscous (right word?)

Also what's the difference between using vtec with medium temp oil and 'up to temp oil' if there's plenty in the engine surely 'tec'n when coolant is up to temp but oil isn't wouldn't have any detrimental effects?

To answer the original questions. I hit vtec when the coolant temp is at operational temps.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

I suppose you have to ask as well if you intend to get 1/2 million miles out of the engine driving like miss Daisy's chauffeur , and if you intend keeping the car for life or like most people sell it on.

Mines staying with me , but it gets driven hard. I don't expect the engine to last forever and if you really really think a warm up period of half hour verses 10 mins is going to make much difference I think you just might be deluding yourself and spoiling the experience for yourself. As Simon says his car is way beyond 100k miles now and has done numerous fast track days and still going strong . Mine drinks oil alway has done , but you could say that's a continuous oil change , lots of pre 04 cars do , oil and filter through life of car has been on average about every 4 k miles . Have never had oil down more than 2 x on dipstick despite usage which I think is most important .

Quick Reply: How long do you wait before vtec