UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How long before the next fuel protests?

Old 05-14-2004, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long before the next fuel protests?

my local tesco is charging 81.9p a litre.........god knows that Opti is now?

Let the mayhem begin....mooowhhahhahhahahaah
Old 05-14-2004, 04:37 AM

Farmers start fuel protests
Mon 10 May, 2004 15:04

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain faces a repeat of the nationwide protests that halted fuel deliveries in September 2000 unless the government acts to bring down petrol and diesel prices, according to militant farm group leader David Handley.

Handley, one of the organisers of a blockade of oil refineries and depots in 2000, said his Farmers for Action (FFA) group had begun a protest over rising fuel costs outside the offices of British oil major BP.

"We've already helped start a protest this morning at BP's offices in Milton Keynes. It may be small and localised, but it's a start," Handley told Reuters on Monday

"We're having intensive meetings with hauliers, members of the general public and motoring organisations around the country.

"Unless the government steps in and does something to stop this profiteering, I think you can safely say that action is going to happen," Handley said.

World crude prices touched $40 a barrel on Friday, their highest since late 1990, on worries about the impact of Middle East violence on oil supply.

The average UK price of unleaded petrol climbed above 80 pence per litre last week, around the same level that triggered the demonstrations in 2000.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:51 AM

It isn't the oil or petroleum companies that are profiteering though.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:54 AM

who cares?.........I just want to see the prices down

the S2000 is staying tucked up this weekend because I can't justfy the expense of using petrol costing nearly 90p a litre at the moment
Old 05-14-2004, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by zero_to60
the S2000 is staying tucked up this weekend because I can't justfy the expense of using petrol costing nearly 90p a litre at the moment
As opposed to a normal weekend when you also seem to leave it the garage, Zero. 1000 miles in 12 months
Old 05-14-2004, 04:59 AM

no it's done more than that over 12 months.......simply that have interpolated that on current form it will have covered less than 1000 between the last service and the next one

I need to save some dosh to sort the rust out on the Fezza and every saving counts
Old 05-14-2004, 04:59 AM

89.9p for Optimax at my local Shell station
Old 05-14-2004, 05:00 AM

Looking at it another way, tax revenue has to come from somewhere. If it isn't levied on petrol, it will be levied elsewhere, directly or indirectly. I stand to be corrected, and I'm certainly no fan of the current government, but I don't think it has done anything that the Tories haven't done in the past when it comes to taxing oil/petrol.

I don't like paying almost 90p a litre for petrol any more than anyone else does, but what really irritates me is that the revenue derived from motorists doesn't find its way back into investing in road infrastructure. The M42 and parts of the M6 near where I live are in appalling condition.

There doesn't seem to be the fury this time around as there was prior to the last round of fuel protests. As things stand, I can't see it going the same way. Maybe when petrol tops the psychological
Old 05-14-2004, 05:01 AM

82.9p for Optimax in Nottingham, you guys are being had!
Old 05-14-2004, 05:04 AM

Isnt the figure something like 80% of fuel cost is tax!!! MFers!! Fuel here is something like the equiv. of 19p a litre

No wonder they all have V8 gas munching mosters here. So if the yanks can run their country without charging rediculous amounts of tax on fuel why cant our government?

Car ownership in England is a neccessaty (spelling!), so the government abuse this need by milking motorists as much as possible.

I wonder how many people there are in EVERY car club in the UK? If everyone joined up that could be quite a voice. Even if just to vote against the current government.

I know its just like They have us by the balls

Quick Reply: How long before the next fuel protests?