UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How good is the S2000 as a track car?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems no one uses Endless pads in the UK.
I swear by them!
Endless MX72 as a moderate track and everyday pad. IMHO much better than the DS2500.
Best combo I've used is Endless MX72 with Dixcel FS rotors on the front. Such good control.
This combo never failed in both my DC2R and Evo 8 in 30 degree Aussie heat on the track. 20 mins sessions and all, and I'm known to brake pretty late
Old 02-19-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RobinA3
My personal opinion is that the s2000 is a very very capable track car if driven well - where it lacks in raw straight line speed it makes up with good brakes, grip and cornering ability.

When I took my S2000 around Oulton I found it very good fun but at the same time intimidating knowing it was worth a lot to me and things could easily go wrong when I ran out of talent (not something I have plenty of that's for sure) and sure enough I spun it at cascades doing about 80mph going backwards towards the barrier.

Nowadays I use a shitty looking polo for track days which to me is a lot more fun as it owes me next to nothing and I can get 100% out of the car without being worried about what could happen - plus it's great fun overtaking cars 30 times as expensive and seeing the drivers expression when I do so.
I totally understand where your coming from with this post. I use my S2000 on track and i worry about the cost of a crash, i consider the car to be worth 7K and crashing it on track is not a cost i could swallow easily. I think because of this im always that little bit more conservative with my driving.

I definetely think the S2000 is a capable car but it needs to be in a skilled drivers hands, i know i probably dont get anywhere near the maxium out of mine but i still enjoy myself.

In hindsight i wish i had picked up a cheap EP3 and stripped it all out and when i got bored with the power stick a JRSC on it and have alot of fun, i know i wouldnt of worried about crashing it and on day to day driving it probably would of been more sensible than the S2000. I will stick with the S2000 thou as its worth having just for summer days.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:44 AM

This is why I like doing things like the Wales road trip I organized last year. You get to hoon around some really nice scenery and some challenging roads, with the bonus of being able to claim on insurance if you bin it

Hopefully it would never come to that of course, but you're right saying good bye to 7k+ because of a mistake on track would be grim, especially if its your one and only car.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:13 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000
This is why I like doing things like the Wales road trip I organized last year. You get to hoon around some really nice scenery and some challenging roads, with the bonus of being able to claim on insurance if you bin it

Hopefully it would never come to that of course, but you're right saying good bye to 7k+ because of a mistake on track would be grim, especially if its your one and only car.
You can buy trackday insurance if you wish, and tracks are mostly a lot more forgiving of an error than a drystone walled road is. Fewer sheep and caravans too

As to the OP, it looks like this will be a dedicated track car, so I'm not so sure it's a great idea. The S2000 works better as a road car that sometimes does trackdays rather than vice versa.

I'd go MX-5 or Caterfield in that instance.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would rather crash my S on a track where there are tyres covering the hard stuff, first aiders on standby and everyone should be going in the same direction.

If I do go ahead with it it will be a dedicated track car, I already have a supercharged one which I use on the roads.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by surfer_crx
I think I would rather crash my S on a track where there are tyres covering the hard stuff, first aiders on standby and everyone should be going in the same direction.

If I do go ahead with it it will be a dedicated track car, I already have a supercharged one which I use on the roads.
In that case, do all the things that make it better for the track and worse for the road.
Weight saving (more noise)
Stiff suspension
Track tyres
Bigger wheels (if on 16s)
Baffled sump
Brake master cylinder brace
Braces
etc.

See the links I gave earlier for lots of very useful info (and MBs various racing threads).
Old 02-19-2014, 04:51 AM

I learned a lot when prepping the CRX for the track and pretty much did it the wrong way round

As I said before my main aim is to have fun and not break any records, so as long as the drive is as rewarding as the CRX, or more so then I will be going for it, if however it isn't then I will keep the CRX for the track as I have a lot invested in it already. Track cars are deceptively expensive.

The reason I didn't consider an MX5 was simply that if I have a road and a track S2000 then I don't need as much space for spare parts as they will be interchangeable.

Also I am in the process of setting up a business that will be related to track cars, s2000s and other related things so there are some tax advantages to be gained in the near future.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:34 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by surfer_crx
I learned a lot when prepping the CRX for the track and pretty much did it the wrong way round

As I said before my main aim is to have fun and not break any records, so as long as the drive is as rewarding as the CRX, or more so then I will be going for it, if however it isn't then I will keep the CRX for the track as I have a lot invested in it already. Track cars are deceptively expensive.

The reason I didn't consider an MX5 was simply that if I have a road and a track S2000 then I don't need as much space for spare parts as they will be interchangeable.

Also I am in the process of setting up a business that will be related to track cars, s2000s and other related things so there are some tax advantages to be gained in the near future.
Just out of interest, what was the "wrong way round"? It may be useful info for some on here
Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 AM

There is a cheap early jdm S on eBay with the bbs lightweight 6 spoke alloys near me. Might not be a bad base for a track car.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Just out of interest, what was the "wrong way round"? It may be useful info for some on here
I went for a more powerful engine first off, then went for slightly bigger wheels which made the handling worse, didn't think about tyres as I had read that any old tyres will do for a trackday as you are not trying to break any records, however my first day on track was in torrential rain and it was like driving on ice, it dried out in the afternoon and I started to go faster but had a bit of a spin and that shit me up quite bad because it just snapped out, I still think about it when I am at Blyton as it was on the high speed left hander on the last part of the track, a slight lift there in the CRX and you are facing the other way.

Because I was always fiddling with the car trying to make it that little bit better and more reliable I didn't get around to having tuition for far too long and it took a good few trackdays before I even realised that steering like you do on the road is a bad idea, as you really shouldn't be feeding the wheel unless the corner is that tight that you have to. I also had it pointed out that I was making far too many gearchanges, and sometimes it's better to go through at medium revs because even though you don't have the acceleration on the exit that you would do had you been in a lower gear, you can carry much more speed through and out of the corner. A few laps of Cadwell saw me having to hit fifth at the end of park straight because I was carrying that much more speed.

I should have gone for weight removal first, then upgraded the brakes, then changed the tyres, then replaced the suspension, then had tuition before I even though about more power. I think what put me off removing the interior and fitting coilovers was that the car was still road legal at the time, the reason I turned it into a track only car was because when you have started to get it so it's good on the track it's horrible on the road and the CRX is so light that a lot of tyres from the 1b list were absolutely lethal on cold wet roads but okay on track in bad weather.

I have BC suspension on my roadgoing S and it is a little stiffer, but no way near as uncomfortable as the CRX. I think the S can do the crossover between road and track car much better than most cars and certainly better than the CRX. Ultimately I prefer the feel of a rear wheel drive car, and I think it will be a more rewarding drive.

EDIT

Also I forgot to mention that one of the first modifications should have been a bucket seat and harness, it makes a full day on track much less tiring.

Quick Reply: How good is the S2000 as a track car?