UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How to avoid speeding fines.............

Old 04-15-2004, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They can use video evidence now so only need one copper in the car now as far as i know. Might still get someone else to officially charge you when you got down to the station though if you were doing something worth more than the usual 3points.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zero_to60

Most people who get 'done' for speeding most probably were not paying enough attention to their surroundings
I've been driving for 17 years now and never been caught speeding even though I routinely break the speed limit
I got done once in 47 years of driving by an unmarked MGB on the A1, in 1983! I have driven the length and breadth of the country at speed all my life, and count myself very lucky not to have been done more than this!.

If you get pulled just think of all the times you've got away with it, and don't moan!!!

Old 04-15-2004, 01:23 AM

still need to be dressed in uniform with hat on when they talk to you though but can keep it off in the car.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Turner
Old 04-15-2004, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Crusoe
Had that before, if you spot an unmarked car behind you before he has to start flashing his lights (always watch out for omegas and volvo V70s up here) they can tell that you are alert and have let me off in the past with just a wagging finger. Harder to spot now there doesn't have to be two white shirted blokes in the front though.
Something similar happened to me last year. Had been stuck in traffic most of the journey home as the M2 had been shut. When I rejoined the Motorway it was empty, so put my foot down to make up time and release some of my frustration. Didn't notice the blacked out windows and several aeriels on the Volvo until I was level with it

Went past him at 110, he pulled out behind me immediately....flashed his blue lights. I dropped back in and drove behind a Metro doing 60 all the way home . I thought he was going to pull me over, but just overtook and dissappeared into the distance.

Either they decided the conditions were safe to do that speed or they were on there way home.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:34 AM

You may or may not be right about that. It's a matter of opinion. I don't deny that some people are entirely oblivious to what goes on around them and, by and large, they probably deserve to get nabbed if they're going to speed and not pay attention.

Have you ever used any form of camera detector? If not, how are you in a position to come out with the blanket statement that "they are all a complete waste of money"? I've been saved by a GPS detector on at least three occasions (that I can think of off the top of my head - probably more in reality) where I was in areas I didn't know and hadn't spotted gatsos which had cynically been sited behind roadside signs and so were not visible until alongside them.

And even if you're right in what you say, why post it in such a deliberately contentious way, especially with a at the end of it?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Crusoe
They can use video evidence now so only need one copper in the car now as far as i know. Might still get someone else to officially charge you when you got down to the station though if you were doing something worth more than the usual 3points.
They've only ever needed one copper in the car if it's a calibrated speedo or other device - one corroborates the other.

Your post sort of ties in though, with this thread, which I find more than a little disquieting.

http://www.5ive-0.com/web/viewtopic.php?t=...08a69e500bb911c

I'm XDC btw on that board.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:44 AM
GSi

New Avatar for Zero?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:48 AM

My radar detector is the best thing I have ever bought !!! Getting points for doing 36 in a 30 is just bad luck and i accumalated 9

In the last 2.5 years though i have had none. It has saved me on numerous occasions. The one up the road from me is a mile away and getting in the car all bleary eyed and half awake its easy to get caught so i would recommend one if you havent got one. As from November this year I am down to zero points again all because of my friendly snooper !!
Old 04-15-2004, 01:50 AM

Ouch, looks like entrapment to me though it sounds like he probably started off thinking it was someone who wanted to race.

Used to have to be two officers with full uniform in Scotland, think it's quite recent up here that they can use the video as evidence instead.

Quick Reply: How to avoid speeding fines.............