UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

How to avoid speeding fines.............

Old 04-15-2004, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to avoid speeding fines.............

personally I think all these speed detection devices are a compete waste of money.......a combination of good situational awareness and stealth will enable you to enjoy the turn of speed of the S2000 without attracting the attention of the law

Most people who get 'done' for speeding most probably were not paying enough attention to their surroundings

I've been driving for 17 years now and never been caught speeding even though I routinely break the speed limit

use your eyes and the grey matter people

Old 04-15-2004, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by zero_to60
personally I think all these speed detection devices are a compete waste of money.......a combination of good situational awareness and stealth will enable you to enjoy the turn of speed of the S2000 without attracting the attention of the law
Surely they're a good thing if they're just catching motorists who are not paying attention to the road.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i think a large portion of luck is involved in avoiding speeding fines as well. awareness is important, but the only definate way to avoid a speeding fine is not to speed.

on that basis, radar detectors, gps systems are useful as they give you that extra margin in addition to your awareness and luck.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:25 AM

8 years and only a few close calls so far for me, helps that there aren't so many around here to catch you though don't do three figures on the motorway unless you want to get caught, keep that for the nice backroads
Old 04-15-2004, 12:30 AM

Or, as shown on a Top Gear repeat the other night...if you see a speed camera, drive through it at 170mph or above and the camera won't 'see' you
Old 04-15-2004, 12:32 AM

From what I've read and seen it really depends largely on where you drive.

The scamera partnerships each have very different interpretations of the guidelines - some use visibly-marked vans, some don't, etc.

Personally I feel my investment in ECM devices has been well worth it - I've spent over a grand but would spend it all again if it meant plod kept his greedy hands off my cash.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that these devices are poor value for money (cheaper to pay a student to take the points maybe ) ), you should be able to spot most Gatso's and local awareness counts for a lot. Although....how do you know when SPEC's are active (I guess these are mainly on motorways and those aren't fun roads anyway and so can be avoided), but some of these devices can locate SPEC's I'm told.

What would make one of these things worthwhile would be if they could spot VASCAR cars. The only thing that has caught me in the past, twice by hiding up a slip road out of sight and then clocking me as I went past. If you are not in your local area, and you don't know the "local haunts", there is no way you are going to avoid this. Or spotter planes (there was one touring up and down outside the office where I work once and facilities phoned the authorities because they thought it was a "nutter" and were told "it's OK that's just a traffic spotter" - one group email later and we all drove home v slowly!)

PS I am now a reformed driver and I never speed....

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Speeding is Bad......

Old 04-15-2004, 12:39 AM

I have employed a far simpler solution, in fact it's only cost me the price of a couple of 'show' plates.....

I simply took a note of Zero's reg. at the last trackday we did and had a new pair made up for my car. Now all my fines go elsewhere. Magic!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:40 AM

there were some bib who dropped in on a Ferrari Owners Club Track Day down at Thruxton once. I got chatting to them and inevitably the conversation turned to speeding

One thing that really pi55es them off is when they follow somone who is speeding and is blatantly unaware of what is going on around them i.e a Jam Sandwich following close behind and they continue to speed

They told me that if they came up behind someone speeding who noticed their presence immediately and pulled over to the nearside lane and dropped their speed down they'd most probably get away with a hand gesture to slow down.....only if the conditons were bad and/or some other factor came into play might prompt a tug
Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkB
I have employed a far simpler solution, in fact it's only cost me the price of a couple of 'show' plates.....
I simply took a note of Zero's reg. at the last trackday we did and had a new pair made up for my car.

Quick Reply: How to avoid speeding fines.............