UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hot nuts

Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just got this sorted out today.

Turns out that not only was the caliper on the rear passenger side nailed but one of the slider pins on the rear drivers side was stuck too. So I had two new calipers fitted with new pads and a brake fluid change for £321, including labour, which I actually think was a fair price.

My only issue is that my brake pedal now feels like it has slightly more dead travel in the first phase of depression than before. I've checked the fluid level and its spot on. Having done this before on a previous S I remember the opposite happening and the pedal having more feel at the top and quite an abrupt braking point. I'm not complaining too much as I prefer a more progressive bite to my brakes but I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar thing happen after a brake fluid change???
Old 05-31-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They need bleeding again
Old 05-31-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Give the brakes some abuse to get some heat in the brake fluid. Try not to cook the pads thou!. I always find i fit a new caliper, bleed it, go for a drive working the brakes hard and then rebleed it. The heat seems to make all the bubbles build up in one point.

The only other option is to use a pressure bleeder and just put loads of fluid through.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

Ill go and give the car some abuse in the morning (if your insisting ) and see what it feels like then I'll call back into the garage and get them done again then. Like I say, I like the progression of the braking I just wish it started from the first few mm of travel!
Old 06-01-2013, 05:10 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Ignore this post, you've already fixed the problem!
Old 06-01-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

For some reason, Hondas are right bleeders to get the air out of.

The Civic never stopped right again (fronts) and the 'Lude is a bit floor-bound (rears).
Old 06-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Sorted mine now, two new rear calipers. Nice to have peice of mind that they are ok now, made driving it not as nice as it should have been before as I was worried about it.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RotaxMax
My only issue is that my brake pedal now feels like it has slightly more dead travel in the first phase of depression than before. I've checked the fluid level and its spot on. Having done this before on a previous S I remember the opposite happening and the pedal having more feel at the top and quite an abrupt braking point. I'm not complaining too much as I prefer a more progressive bite to my brakes but I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar thing happen after a brake fluid change???
Funny you should say that, my pedal never felt better than when I had both rear calipers seized! Actually slowing down wasn't the best, but I think because I was essentially only operating two calipers instead of four, the pedal feel was very solid and immediate. Now with four operational calipers, the pedal is more progressive but lacks the instant response. Better off with four though I think!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I've found the same. Just rebuilt my rear calipers. Wondered whether there was ait in the system, but it seems to be firming up as the new pads bed into the shape of the disc. Still more progressive feel though, and I hadn't thought of the fact only 2 calipers will have been moving properly, hence lost that 'bite'. Used to jump out of my mondeo into the S and promptly perform an emergency stop!