UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Horrible sound...help!

Old 03-19-2005, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible sound...help!

My beautiful '01 S is making such a horrible sound from the rear offside wheel. Sounds like a squeaky grinding sound that goes at the same speed as the wheel is turning. Gets worse when I go round bends to the left (i.e. weight is over wheel) and now the centre part of the wheel (where the Honda symbol is) has come off and the centre part that comes through the wheel looks like it has sheared just after it comes through the wheel. Still making the same sound though! Thought it might be a wheel bearing issue? Is it still safe to drive on essential trips, i.e. to dealer? Been into De Vries Honda in York twice with it. First time they replaced the brake pads and charged me
Old 03-19-2005, 01:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry i thought it was a brake pad problem but it does not sound like it is, might be worth taking the wheel off yourselfand having a look around, could be a bearing problem but without my car here so i could have a look i cant be of much help.

think it would be best to not drive it anywhere until you find what the problem is.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:18 AM

Err get the car to the dealer and don't collect it until it is sorted, you DON'T want these sorts of problems.

Post pics if possible as from what you describe I am surprised Honda allowed you to drive it ???
Old 03-19-2005, 01:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does give off a wheel bearing-y type vibe. Lift the car up on a jack and try and rock the wheel from side to side (i.e. push with your right hand pull with your left and visa-versa) . There should be no movement at all like this.

Unless you have the car up on axel stands DO NOT try and get underneath to have a look. Stay well away from underneath whilst up on a jack
Old 03-19-2005, 02:05 AM

Don't know if this helps ??
Old 03-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

From your description it does sound like brakes, hence i guess why DIxon did that. but did they not test drive it afterwards and spot that the sound was still there?!

Take it back in - or to a different dealer, or call HondaUK explaining it has been in twice and not fixed

Sorry I can't offer any idea what it might be.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:44 AM

Try Dixon Leeds....IMO they are great guys....
Old 03-19-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds pretty much 100% wheel bearing issue to me. Sounds totally unlike a brake fault.

The dealer *should* have checked the bearings and replaced in my mind.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:10 PM

Sounds like wheel bearings to me ...but possibly quite an advanced stage of wear. I'd get it in to the dealer asafp if I were you. It may just require tightening but if its shagged you'll need replacement.

Could be dangerous to drive if its shagged too!
Old 03-19-2005, 11:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading again, worst case - this could also be a diff issue. I hope it isn't - fingers crossed for you.

Quick Reply: Horrible sound...help!