UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Horn Upgrade

Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn Upgrade

Anyone who owns an S2000 will confirm that the original horn is naff! It's not that I want to use the horn aggressively; in fact I rarely use it, and tend to drive defensively. However, there are occasions when you want to say 'hi' to friends and neighbours without scaring the living daylights out of them, and there will be the moment when someone does something stupid and you need to alert them to your presence. For both these purposes the OEM horn is useless.

Having followed some of the recent threads relating to this issue, and used the search, I decided to try the Ring electromagnetic twin horns from Halfords for under £20.

They were easy to fit where one of the original horns had been mounted (MY02), and came complete with the necessary relay. However, although they were a vast improvement I felt that they did not project the right image for the car! In addition it was difficult to give a friendly greeting with them.

Someone had recently recommended the Stebel twin air horn obtainable from Speeding, and I went for the Nautilus model in red, which cost £26-99 inc delivery. The service was excellent, and it arrived within two days.

Again this could be mounted on the original horn bracket and the result is one I am pleased with. It is possible to give a cheery greeting to friends, and, if you want to be noticed, you will be!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:44 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was any extra wiring needed (relay) or was it a straight simple swap ?

Bharat
Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard this thing in action at the Herts meet last night. Certainly sounds differant and does not sound annoying
Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by BSM139,Nov 6 2009, 10:44 PM
Was any extra wiring needed (relay) or was it a straight simple swap ?

Bharat
A relay is supplied with the horn, and you need an in-line 20A fuse, but it's all very simple to do. If you want to fit the same horn, post up and I will supply more details and pics.

(I'm off to Snowdonia tomorrow for the week so there would be a delay in responding.)
Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 AM

By way of an update.

I had to use the new horn for the first time last week. Driving through a local village, at about twenty miles an hour, because I was passing the junior school at drop-off time, a Chelsea tractor suddenly pulled out without signalling.

The lady driver had obviously not checked her mirror, but she stopped like a scalded cat when the air horn went off! As a result she avoided running into the side of me.

I owe you one Stebel!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always found that if you have time to sound the horn then you have time to stop or avoid.

Was little Tarquin eating a PSP afterwards?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm contemplating doing this soon, if you can put up some more detailed instructions on the wiring that would be great

The standard horn is bordering on dangerous!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I fitted one of these as i couldnt be arsed running wires about, relay etc

It will be no where near as good as an airhorn. The tone is slightly deeper and slightly louder so if your looking for a massive difference dont bother, I'm however happy with it as it is better than the standard horn.

Fits on the existing bracket and just needs one extended.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The R26 horn is crap, and sounds like a Noddy car which it is.
I have to change it but the front bib has to come off

So I'll probably just keep shouting 'you woinker' out of the window in my customary Turette Stylee.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Jan 11 2010, 05:32 PM
I've always found that if you have time to sound the horn then you have time to stop or avoid.

Was little Tarquin eating a PSP afterwards?
As the driver in question pulled out as I was alongside, and with traffic coming the other way, I had nowhere to go. If I had stopped it would only have changed the point of impact! The fact that she heard my horn and stopped immediately, avoided the collision altogether.

Presumably, young Tarquin was inside the school eating his Power Steering Pump?

Quick Reply: Horn Upgrade