UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

horn not working and strange steering feel

Old 02-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horn not working and strange steering feel

So clicked 112,000 miles the other day and noticed my horn was really pathetic the noise changes as I press it and sounds wheezy and broken.

Also not sure if it's linked but my steering feels heavier than usual too, no lights have come on whatsoever it tracks fine and drives well enough but worried there's something wrong. Only thing I can think of is a weak battery?

Tried searching the forum and can't find anything any help is appreciated!

Sam
Old 02-28-2016, 11:41 AM

How are the front tyres? Correct pressure? As for the horn, not sure, maybe just replace it. A lot of people on here have fitted one with a more agressive tone.
Oh and every bloke should own a multimeter, that will tell you if you battery is dodgy amongst other things.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

It won't be an outright EPS failure, I had a "just about start" due to not using the car for two weeks, the EPS light came on and I almost levered myself out of the seat trying to turn the wheel!
Old 02-28-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by richmc
It won't be an outright EPS failure, I had a "just about start" due to not using the car for two weeks, the EPS light came on and I almost levered myself out of the seat trying to turn the wheel!

Yeah pressures are fine checked those I'm about capable of that haha. Did you recalibrate the EPS then? It's not dead stiff just a bit firmer than usual and I have noticed I forgot to mention at slow speeds up to 10mph it does a quiet clicking noise.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:11 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by s2Sam
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1456692743' post='23893650

Yeah pressures are fine checked those I'm about capable of that haha. Did you recalibrate the EPS then? It's not dead stiff just a bit firmer than usual and I have noticed I forgot to mention at slow speeds up to 10mph it does a quiet clicking noise.
No didn't need to recalibrate, it reset when I stopped and restarted the engine.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:20 PM

Fair enough I will check when I'm next driving it any other ideas??
Old 02-29-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check you're getting 14V with the engine running. If the alternator is going EPS is likely the first thing you notice.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:06 AM

Il try that Dembo was hoping someone would had a similar problem and had a diagnosis!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:41 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I was going to say how about checking the battery terminals, give them a good clean. And pull and clean the fuse contacts for the fuses in the engine bay while you're at it.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:18 AM

So quick update on this I took it to Honda where I work and got the lads to check it I couldn't believe it they pulled it in horn was working and no clicking or heavy steering wheel feel.

God I felt stupid that was until I drove home and straight away it bloody did it!

So after messing about I have realised they are linked when I hold down the horn for 5 seconds or so it goes fine and the steering feel slackens off and feels lovely a minute later it goes heavy again and the horn goes wheezy going to get them to relook at it at the service but it's so annoying1!!

Quick Reply: horn not working and strange steering feel