UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Hood splitting - warranty replacement likely?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Hood splitting - warranty replacement likely?

After seeing all the discussions here about hood wear, I checked mine over because as a Jan 06 car, the Honda 3yr warranty expires in January 09.

I noticed it is starting to split on the passenger side just above the passenger door join. There is also some very very slight wear inside in the usual place, however inside is not visibly serious yet.

I wondered whether I would be likely to get the hood replaced as this split only likely to get worse and I'd be gutted if it starts letting water a few months after the warranty expires?

I'm nervous of taking it in to Honda without getting some advice from you guys here in case they try to fob me off with a glue repair or tell me it's normal wear and tear.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Drivers side

Passenger side
Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by neaput,Oct 19 2008, 01:47 PM
After seeing all the discussions here about hood wear, I checked mine over because as a Jan 06 car, the Honda 3yr warranty expires in January 09.

I noticed it is starting to split on the passenger side just above the passenger door join. There is also some very very slight wear inside in the usual place, however inside is not visibly serious yet.

I wondered whether I would be likely to get the hood replaced as this split only likely to get worse and I'd be gutted if it starts letting water a few months after the warranty expires?

I'm nervous of taking it in to Honda without getting some advice from you guys here in case they try to fob me off with a glue repair or tell me it's normal wear and tear.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Drivers side

Passenger side
Mine is exactly the same as yours, but it has been like that for ages.

I have been monitoring if it is ripping and doesn't show any signs of anymore movement.

Something to look out for though is the plastic guide that is under that area. If the guide goes the wrong side of it (on the out side) then the roof join is put under pressure and can start it tearing.

Here is the thread i started.

Torn Roof Thread.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:18 AM

If there is no water getting in I can't see them doing much TBH.

Keep an eye to see if it gets any worse.