UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Honda's Traction Control - VSA

Old 06-02-2006, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda's Traction Control - VSA

Having done just over 2500 miles from new in less than three weeks, trying to keep up with the other loons on the recent France trip, I thought you might like to know how Hondas new traction control (VSA) coped.

Whilst running it in, it never once came on.

It wasn't until I could get it in to Vtec it was ever going to show itself.

My first experience was whilst chasing Burnie and AE around some hairpins in France. It cut power momentarily as I came hard round a hairpin determined to come out of it as fast as possible. A bit early on the power and the inside rear started to spin up. VSA backed the throttle off and it launched out of the hairpin like a goodun!

Second time Burnie wanted to see it working!
So on the gravel in a carpark I hammered the throttle, it started to spin up, flicking a few stones up. It again backed off the throttle and away we went.
To prove the point I switched it off and did a couple of power slides

It came in once more when I outbraked myself keeping the backend in check and applying the ABS.

The two or three other times I provoked it, it collected the car and off we went.

So in summary Honda have got it spot on.

It did not prevent me making fast progress in France (I think the rest of the group will agree )

It did not stop that car behaving as my other two S's did. I could oversteer it in to corners, you could steer it on the power just the same.

Yet if the car is letting go it will use the ABS and throttle to catch it. PLus if you really want you can switch it off! Superb system!

I can't see why Honda have made it a 16 week option on new cars
Old 06-02-2006, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds awesome to me.

I have to say, from the stories - I would fancy having a bit of an extra 'safety net' if I got into trouble.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:33 AM
ge2

If you can switch it off, it sounds like a good idea to me. Does it cost?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:38 AM

Mikey, I was waiting for someone to comment on VSA. If I get another S2000 I will want VSA on it as a safety net so it's good to hear it works well.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:43 AM

Apparently it is a
Old 06-02-2006, 03:49 AM
ge2

Seems quite reasonable

Despite having almost superhuman driving skills, I reckon I'd still have it at that price.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:57 AM

Interesting write up. What from you've said, it sounds like it doesn't interfere with the joy of driving the car, which to me is so important. So many modern cars are very dull to drive, because they are goverend by these driver "aids", and I was worried the VSA option might get in the way, and prevent you "having fun".

I love the idea of turning it off Well done Honda.

Personally I wouldn't buy a car with VSA, but I don't doubt there are plenty of people who wouldn't buy a car like the S, without traction control. So if it increases the cars popularity, then I'm all for it.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:16 AM

Excellent write up Mikey.

It backs up everything I previously said about the Honda VSA system being so good. I had only driven with it in an Accord 2.4 on ProDrive's skid pan, but it was amazing and better than any Audi / BMW systems that I have driven with.

I would have had it fitted too if it hadn't been for ridiculous waiting time.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Jun 2 2006, 12:22 PM
It came in once more when I outbraked myself keeping the backend in check and applying the ABS.
What exactly was the back end doing under heavy braking, and how was the VSA sorting it?

Sounds good though - on your write-up, I would certainly order it as an option for only
Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by moff,Jun 2 2006, 01:16 PM
I would have had it fitted too if it hadn't been for ridiculous waiting time.
I suspect that's going to be the reason it doesn't sell well (if VSA sales do prove to be limited).

If it's as unobtrusive as it sounds based on Mike's review, and is switchable, I can't see a downside. All the more reason to spec it as standard IMO, especially if it already is for EU models.

Given the reputation that the car has (rightly or wrongly) for the frequency of car/bush interfaces, I'd have thought having VSA as standard would broaden the appeal to Joe Public rather than limiting it.

Quick Reply: Honda's Traction Control - VSA