UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Honda dealers, don't you just love em :rolleyes: (update on my gearbox problems)

Old 02-18-2002, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda dealers, don't you just love em :rolleyes: (update on my gearbox problems)

I took my car back to the dealer this afternoon, so that I could demonstrate the problems on a test drive with them. I was a bit nervous, as the selection problems are random, although I can often reproduce the hesitation on accelaration. It was useful meeting up with Ian yesterday and hearing how smooth, quiet and rattle free his car is. Ian's verdict was that mine didn't sound right, although it was shifting fairly well yesterday.

Anyway, I explained all of this to the dealer, and asked them to finish the work on the boot The technician went out to the car with me, and after looking at the boot, etc., we got in. He started her up and tried the gears with the engine running, while I explained the problems. After about five minutes he decided there was no point in taking a test drive, as he could feel that something wasn't right! I've left it with them to decide with Honda how to resolve this. They've noted that there's still damp in the boot and the problem with the lights. They'll also replace the boot clips that are missing and the windscreen trim that is fitted wrongly when they next have the car in. The techy was not impressed at those!

I'm happy that the dealer has now recognized that I have a fault, however not impressed by how long it has taken. I first asked them to look at it in September 2000, just after the gearbox was replaced. Since then it has had two services, including the major one in January. They have had the car twice since the last service, for warranty work and to look into this. Everytime, they have reported no fault found, yet all they needed to do was sit in the car and start the engine
Old 02-18-2002, 10:59 AM

Not good in the delay, but at least they are now moving in the right direction - Good luck!
Old 02-18-2002, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, as Ross said, at least it is heading in the right direction now.

As we discussed yesterday, it will be interesting to see what conclusion they come to with regard to the next course of action.

However, if it sounds wrong to you, I would, ever so nicely of course, ask if it is at all possible that the 055 clutch fix could be the answer (take a copy along just in case they have not heard of it - my dealer hadn't, but were fine about me producing the TSB - they just contacted Honda UK for confirmation, which was duely given, and 'Roberts your Relative' - nice new clutch - no noises, no notchiness .

Please keep me posted on how this develops Rob. Hope its all properly sorted very soon.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:38 PM

Oh yes..........Rob............did you happen to mention the rear light clusters?????
Old 02-19-2002, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by ianl
Oh yes..........Rob............did you happen to mention the rear light clusters?????
Yes, I mentioned the light clusters. It could be related to the swamp in the boot, but we'll see what they say. I hope that if they repplace them, they'll fit better than the headlights. I might take the front bumper off and see if I can get them fitted better.

Still no phone call I'll wait until this afternoon before I start to chase them.

PS. Have you fixed your roof yet???
Old 02-19-2002, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by S2000RJ

Yes, I mentioned the light clusters. It could be related to the swamp in the boot, but we'll see what they say.
Hmmmmm...........but mine did it as well, and I havn't gone for the 'swamp in the boot' option?

PS. Have you fixed your roof yet???

No.

Bugger off.

Old 02-19-2002, 02:30 AM

Hmmmmm...........but mine did it as well, and I havn't gone for the 'swamp in the boot' option?
That's why it will be interesting if Honda agree to swap them without question. I suspect they'll dry the boot again and ask me to come back if it happens again Of course it was warm and sunny yesterday, so there was no condensation to be seen
Old 02-19-2002, 06:28 AM

UPDATE My dealer has just called Honda have asked them to replace the clutch with the -055 update and then report back to them. The new clutch is on order, so when it comes in I'll have to see if they can fit it without any more damage Hopefully I can get everything else sorted at the same time. No mention of the light clusters yet.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by S2000RJ
UPDATE My dealer has just called Honda have asked them to replace the clutch with the -055 update and then report back to them. The new clutch is on order, so when it comes in I'll have to see if they can fit it without any more damage Hopefully I can get everything else sorted at the same time. No mention of the light clusters yet.
Excellent news Rob - Plan 'A' worked just fine!!

Now, just to make you a little more paranoid ('just because your paranoid, it doesnt mean theyre not out to damage your car ') and as I think I mentioned on Sunday - make sure they dont lever off the consol cover on the transmission tunnel. It can be removed by starting at the rear (perforated arm rest section) working your fingers underneath here, and progressivly working forward, unclipping as you go (you may wan to loosen it for them )

I think the 055 clutch assembly will do the business for you - make sure you let me know!
Old 02-19-2002, 08:48 AM

Excellent news Rob - Plan 'A' worked just fine!!

Now, just to make you a little more paranoid ('just because your paranoid, it doesnt mean theyre not out to damage your car ') and as I think I mentioned on Sunday - make sure they dont lever off the consol cover on the transmission tunnel. It can be removed by starting at the rear (perforated arm rest section) working your fingers underneath here, and progressivly working forward, unclipping as you go (you may wan to loosen it for them )
I'm not paranoid ... but they scuffed the valve casing (the red bit) when they changed the gearbox last time ..... maybe I could get a new center console Recent experience has shown that it will need to go back at least once afterwards to get all the trim fitted correctly

I think the 055 clutch assembly will do the business for you - make sure you let me know!
I'm sure it will be an improvement. Don't worry, I'll keep you updated.

Quick Reply: Honda dealers, don't you just love em :rolleyes: (update on my gearbox problems)