UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Honda alarm problems

Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda alarm problems

Sorry but I've searched and searched and cannot find the answer to this simple question, is there some sort of a procedure (apart from the obvious physically changing the battery!) to changing the battery in a two button key fob if the battery has been dead for a long time?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, just replace battery.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 AM

Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 04:57 AM
tej

I was worried about this too when I bought a replacement cover, but I switched them over within a few mins and the fob worked fine.. not sure if it does loose its memory and needs to be re-programmed if the battery is left out for an extended amount of time?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tej,Jan 7 2010, 01:57 PM
not sure if it does loose its memory and needs to be re-programmed if the battery is left out for an extended amount of time?
Nope...you tell the car that the fob is to be used...the fob itself has no memory.

Liken it to a stereo with remote control

Oh...I think you meant 'lose' too
Old 01-07-2010, 05:23 AM
tej

pedantic git

I remember having to be really quick with changing fob batteries for the 200SX as they would loose.. i mean lose ( ) their memory and have to be reprogrammed.. kinda like a Sky box remote.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 AM

In my S I know that all the Fobs have a unique code built into the fob and the alarm in the car remembers which fob belongs to that car.
When one buys a new fob you have to tell the car to use the new fob.

When I change the batteries the code in the Fob doesn’t get effected.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:47 AM

Ok now I'm very confused, changed both the batterys after getting replacements from Honda, and neither of them do anything still.

Ok, here's a photo of what I got with my S2k, all the keys work, and the grey rectangle fob operates the locking and boot only, no indicators flashing, no deadlock, and I guess no alarm.

How on earth do I get the two black fobs working? When/if they do work should they replace the grey one completely or do you have to use the grey one for the locking and the black one for the alarm? (thats what the guy in the parts dept at dealer said, but I find it hard to believe that you have to carry three items around with you just to use the car!! I'm used to just one!)

I've rang the dealer I bought the car from and they are ringing me back tomorrow, but to be honest if I can get them working myself I'd rather do that.

Help!!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 AM

The two button remotes lock and unlock the car including the alarm (double press of unlock pops the boot) the other remote is no use it as you suspected will not do the alarm. HTH

Sounds like you have a fault to me.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 AM

Right I see... so the parts man at Honda in Grays was talking rubbish, surprise surprise.

So, I wonder whats wrong with my black fobs and/or alarm?? Strange.... If its anything serious etc then its going straight back to Honda!! Just a pain in the arse.

Can you disable the alarm or anything?? For various reasons I am 90% sure the car has been stored in a garage most, if not all of its life, with no roof on, as the soft top was very tight at first, and when on it literally looks new. So maybe the alarm has been disabled somehow so that they could lock the car etc with the roof down without worrying about it ever going off??

Quick Reply: Honda alarm problems