UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Holes above rear number plate

Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM
J_B

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Secret compartments
Old 04-24-2014, 01:51 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

This certainly doesn't look right...

Old 04-24-2014, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pre-facelifts have a hole/gap which you can access the number plate lights through with your hand. They have a cap, with small hole in it, and the bulbs twist fit into the top side.

The facelifts have more of a traditional cover/shield system.

The pictures you've just posted CynicG are perfectly correct.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 08-27-2014, 02:43 PM
CDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slightly off topic but my entire number plate surround has dropped on one side (facelift) after I took some stones out from the lower part. They were obviously holding it on position! Looks like it was held in place with a double sided tape or something. Does anyone know how to take it out and re-seal it?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by CDP
Slightly off topic but my entire number plate surround has dropped on one side (facelift) after I took some stones out from the lower part. They were obviously holding it on position! Looks like it was held in place with a double sided tape or something. Does anyone know how to take it out and re-seal it?
Not sure what MY you have, but on my MY2002 there were two end pieces of bent metal at each end and another longer piece along the bottom edge. Using screws, these pull the numberplate surround back against the bumper. Unfortunately, the metal is of the usual Honda (defective) standard, so rusts *exceedingly* quickly and the screws are even worse, so are often a bitch to get out. It will cost you about £100 for the metal bits from Honda - or you can bond the surround directly onto the bumber for a longer time repair. Either way, it is best to remove the whole bumper and do some anti-rust remedial work on the rear end of the car - you'll be shocked how little protection Honda have done. Whilst you have it off, use gaffer tape over the metal strips to stop the stones getting down into the cracks if you go that route.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:50 PM

On the lines of this thread I have a couple of questions, the of which somewhat arose from reading this thread. I have the earlier dome shaped lights.

1) it was said the bulbs are twisted out. Ok, but how do you remove the dome? are there 2 screws either side to unscrew? if it is, mine have rusted to a crusty rusty blob either side that no screwdriver would work on. If they are screws I can use grips to get the out and replace the screw.

2) the connector coming off the plate lights connects to the cable coming out the back of the car (which has the fog light connector on also)But where do the join connectors sit? i.e fix to besides dangling loose. I cannot remember what held it in place but I recall it was metal and very rusty and the rust swell had slit the fixing hole (electrical connections is fine). I assume its on the bumper, there is a small tab on the number place piece. But I cannot visually it now. Any one who could take a photo would be of help.

cheers
Old 08-27-2014, 11:28 PM

The whole assembly comes out by removing two screws on each piece. The heads for these face the front of the car (you are looking at the thread end if you can imagine it).

Easiest, and quickest way to remove these most efficiently is to take off the whole rear bumper (I could do it with my eyes shut now, haha).

Don't forget to disconnect the loom for the lights before pulling right off.

Then you'll get good access to taking the assemblies off. I also gave them a good clean and soaping in the sink before re-fitting.

trustafox - These photographs in my thread may help your situation: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...t__p__23077132
Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 AM
CDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heymynameismark
trustafox - These photographs in my thread may help your situation: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...t__p__23077132
Thanks, this link tells me exactly what I needed to know . I thought it might be a bumper off job.
I would say that bottom mounting plate has probably droppped due to a rusty or missing bolt.

As astage mentioned, it's probably a good idea to get all the rust treatment and underseal sorted at the same time.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by heymynameismark
The whole assembly comes out by removing two screws on each piece. The heads for these face the front of the car (you are looking at the thread end if you can imagine it).

Then you'll get good access to taking the assemblies off. I also gave them a good clean and soaping in the sink before re-fitting.

Thanks for the photos mark. I was squinting to see. Looks like a type of c clip.

I didn't mean how to remove the whole plat light unit but just the domes. I've have the bumper off a while and all parts removed here. I just cannot remember how the light connector is secured.

One thing looking at your photos, did one of the plastic plugs on the recess panel you screw in to shear off as you tried to remove a rusted in screw?

PS your plate recess brackets were positively in great condition compared to mine. Mine just crumbled between your fingers and none were just one piece! As you tapped the bumper fragments of rust kept dropping on the floor. At that point I'd never seen behind there so it was a mystery as to what I would find. I just hoped the body wasn't falling apart!

Quick Reply: Holes above rear number plate