UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS SC kit topic

Old 05-18-2016, 05:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Another question, i have found a company quite local to me, 7 miles away that have experience with s2000's and f20 converted kit cars who will map the car for me, but they say they will not provide me with a base map so i can drive it to them, is that normal?

As i am doing all the work myself i would atleast like to start the car in my garage so i can check for leaks and that it is operating correctly before i get the car their to be mapped, will the aem v2 base maps allow me to do this fairly easily?
Old 05-18-2016, 05:37 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Define198
Another question, i have found a company quite local to me, 7 miles away that have experience with s2000's and f20 converted kit cars who will map the car for me, but they say they will not provide me with a base map so i can drive it to them, is that normal?

As i am doing all the work myself i would atleast like to start the car in my garage so i can check for leaks and that it is operating correctly before i get the car their to be mapped, will the aem v2 base maps allow me to do this fairly easily?
I am 99% certain that there is a base map with AEMtuner software for supercharging.

Should be good enough to get you to the tuner
Old 05-18-2016, 06:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was thinking along the same route, fitting it all myself, leaving out a few parts as not to connect it up to the engine and drive to tuner for them to fit last few bits and then map.
Issue is my tuner would be circa 100miles away.

How far would be "OK" to drive on a base map?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaddow
I was thinking along the same route, fitting it all myself, leaving out a few parts as not to connect it up to the engine and drive to tuner for them to fit last few bits and then map.
Issue is my tuner would be circa 100miles away.

How far would be "OK" to drive on a base map?
None just leave the OEM ECU in if your not connecting up the SC.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Define198

I Spoke to TDI North and they said if i am fitting it all myself to not start the engine at all. Let them check it all over prior to any mapping.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
Originally Posted by Define198' timestamp='1463576551' post='23969952

I Spoke to TDI North and they said if i am fitting it all myself to not start the engine at all. Let them check it all over prior to any mapping.
Hmm, im not that technically minded, but i had it in my head that if you load the base map then it would surely be safe at least to just turn the engine over. But the tuner also mentioned that inspection is included in the price of the map so i guess i could just fit it and then get it loaded up and taken to them

But last thing i want is to get it to them and then their be something hugely wrong so they cannot map the car and then i have wasted a load of money ;s
Old 05-18-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The problem with base maps comes with different injectors. You can get away with using someone elses map if they have the same or similar injectors but if they are different then the car might not run properly.

You can get away with alot if you have a wideband sensor connected to the AEM because it will get you there or there abouts without too much agro. You would have to just use very light throttle inputs and not go into boost. With the HKS supercharger i find the bypass valve is good at low throttle positions you have to really give it some gas for the bypass valve to shut and start pressurising the inlet manifold.

I would recommend people who get the AEM EMS to at least get a wideband sensor to go with it because 02 sensor feedback at low throttle positions really makes a massive difference to driveability and economy. Plus its peace of mind knowing that you can check the AFR occasionally to see that everything is running safely. Having fitted one to my S2000 18 months ago its one of the best things i have done.

One other thing with this supercharger there is no rocket science involved with it, its pretty straight forward and fitting it yourself will give you a massive advantage if you ever experience problems with it. I would hate to open the engine bay to a shiny supercharger and not understand what every bit does and how it could or couldnt go wrong.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone has mentioned earlier, AEMTuner comes with both a N/A map and a FI-map for the S2000. These are very rough maps however; and are simply there to start the engine. I definitely would not run without a UEGO however; you can get an inline one if you didnt want the hassle of having a gauge.

If you need something abit better - give AJ a PM on the forums. I'm sure he will be able to sort you out with a base-map that takes into consideration your injector sizing as well as other factors for a nominal fee. You can then get your car to your mapper of choice. Alternatively; get AJ to map the car for you properly. I've used his services in the past and he's nothing short of impeccable
Old 05-23-2016, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This current group buy is very tempting. With regards to insurance though, how has everyone's premiums been effected?

I'm 25 so was interested to see what ballpark figure you guys are paying with the supercharger declared. Did your insurer ask what power the car was now making? After having breathing mods and a remap to mine, I know they did.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:54 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Cost me £120 extra on my TTS kit making circa 400bhp. But that's on a limited mileage classic policy that was only £370 to start with.

Quick Reply: HKS SC kit topic