UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS SC kit topic

Old 07-18-2015, 01:56 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
130c is toooo hot.
I agree. Before charging I could drive 20-30 sessions full whack and the engine never moved over 3 bars.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
Originally Posted by MB
130c is toooo hot.
I agree. Before charging I could drive 20-30 sessions full whack and the engine never moved over 3 bars.
Do you mean 3 bars on the water temperature? Water and oil temperature should in theory be linked with the OEM cooler fitted but it really does nothing at high revs. Water and oil temp on the S2000 dont really match when you take it out on track so if water temperature is at 90c then you can guess your oil temp will be in the high 120's and unless you fit a decent temperature gauge you wont even know.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:41 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I see what you mean.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:59 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Where was the 130'c measured? Sump or gallery?

As long as you run a good quality fully synthetic oil you can run it to ~150'c before the lubrication properties start to decline.

I run my development and durability engines at 125'c gallery temp meaning a sump temp of ~135'c.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robin, I completely agree with your sentiment regarding Ryan's defective supercharger. I was always under the impression buying from a UK supplier would be beneficial if anything were to go wrong. As in almost instant resolve, sounds broken, replace, company take the issue up with the supplier. Having to send parts off and await a response is a bit of a joke and in this case no different from grey importing (except for a larger sum of money involved!).
Old 07-21-2015, 04:42 AM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Just spoke to HKS Europe - Maz is chasing the guys in Japan up. Will have a answer tomorrow, we have stock of the replacement chargers both here and at HKS Europe.

I wiil forward everyones comments to HKS regarding the slow inspection routine - I agree its been dragged out a little! My next post on here with any luck will be a conclusion to Ryan saga!
Old 07-21-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this resolved
Old 07-22-2015, 08:30 AM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

As promised update time! I have contacted Ryan this afternoon and we had a good chat!

HKS Japan have found the fault to be a part of the internal traction drive system, due to some excessive wear inside the unit. They have never seen one go this way before so thats why it took some time to get to the bottom of the issue, it was somewhat inconclusive and due to either a manufacturing defect or some other outside influence that caused the issue . However the good news is HKS are replacing the unit due to the unusual response time in examining the unit and have apologised for this unusual delay.

To further speed up the process we taken a brand new charger along some more traction fluid and a traction fluid filter from our stock here so Ryan's car will be back on boost very soon!

I spoke to HKS Europe at length about chargers and they have only sent back a 2-3 chargers to Japan over the last 3 years from all the various kits they do for the GT86 / CR-Z's / 350Z and the custom fabrication universal kits which regularly get used on a Mazda MX-5. Quite a few S2000 kits have gone Europe and this is the first one on a S2000 thats ever gone wrong. Please note any grey imported kits will not have any warranty from UK/Japan dealers!

I have a couple more kits due in soon for stock and I'm happy to answer questions about future orders, quite a few people have had the instruction manual emailed (PDF) and I can happily email them to any further interested members!

Si
Old 07-22-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news Si,

Have HKS offered anything for the cost of refitting?

In addition, it's certain that Ryan will have to get his car remapped for the new charger. Excessive wear = excessive friction = sub optimal performance. The car will now almost certainly be running lean which means another additional cost.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is good news! Glad HKS don't have to think twice about doing the right thing. This is still the supercharger I would go for in future!

Quick Reply: HKS SC kit topic