UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS SC kit topic

Old 06-10-2017, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been on here for a while but thought since I was one of the first to get this kit fitted that some owners would appreciate some feedback on the kit.

I've now had the kit fitted for over 2 years and have had no real issues with the kit itself. My car has always been a track toy rather than a daily driver but when it gets driven is driven pretty hard.

I have not had any major issues with the kit itself except the charger mount bolts unwinding themselves lose ever so often, which as they were aluminium believe this was the cause, the same seems to happen with alu wheel nuts on track, they like to unwind themselves too, so I swapped them out with some stainless steel ones and threadlock and they've been fine.

As for the flutter, I get a little bit of flutter from high rev lift off but not like some are experiencing, at lower revs.

On track when really pushing on I have noticed a very small amount of fluid weeps from the charge traction fluid canister, it sometimes does it and sometimes does it, its a bit random, as it didn't do it for a while but seemed to weep a bit after the last time I checked the fluid. It was definitely tight but could be the way the seal sits, I might try getting a different rubber seal to see if that helps. We a talking a negligible amount of fluid though, as I have not had to top it up. Just due to the weight of the fluid it looks like its more than it actually is.

As I see that many wish to track their cars with the kit, I'd say an oil cooler is highly recommended if not mandatory to keep the temps down, a temp and pressure gauge is also useful to ensure you can keep an eye on high temps but also know when the oil is up to temp before giving it full beans.
On track sits nicely around the 100 degree C mark if I'm really pushing for a fair few laps it will goto around 120 degree c.

The one issue I have had on track since the charger and that is noise. I used to have a DMS cat back with a decat (remember them guys ), which was considered loud but had no issues even at Donington. As soon as the charger kit went on I was being black flagged at all the tracks I had previously passed on. I switched to a Milltek Single which is considered to be pretty quiet, but was still getting black flagged at Donington, Blyton and Silverstone, this was even with the additional Milltek noise reducer. (btw Cadwell Park is the place to go with a noisy exhaust as long as you pass the static, which is usually easy in our cars unless your exhaust is crazy loud.)

I spoke to Milltek about getting a custom exhaust made up but they weren't interested. So I asked a mate to make up an additional pipe to bolt on in between the noise reduce and the back section, which got me down to around 100db at Donington but was still too loud. I then put on a silenced decat, which got me to 99db.

Then in the end I went to Nouvalari who make custom exhausts for a lot of exoticas who used the same concept of the bolt on pipes I had used but longer as single section rather than multiple bolt on pipes. It sticks out quite a bit beyond the bumper but I only use it to get on track and the TDOs have never complained. The pipe diameter has been kept the same throughout to minimise restriction, but the key was to extend the rear pipe and baffled section and point it down. That's one advantage of the Milltek that you can change the tips so I'm able to just swap them over for track and road use.

Hope that helps a few people who are considering the HKS Kit. I'm still really pleased with mine and feel its the perfect power balance for the car when you need it.

Here's a few vids of me on track recently:

Silverstone

Cadwell Park
Old 06-10-2017, 05:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tron2k3
I haven't been on here for a while but thought since I was one of the first to get this kit fitted that some owners would appreciate some feedback on the kit.

I've now had the kit fitted for over 2 years and have had no real issues with the kit itself. My car has always been a track toy rather than a daily driver but when it gets driven is driven pretty hard.

I have not had any major issues with the kit itself except the charger mount bolts unwinding themselves lose ever so often, which as they were aluminium believe this was the cause, the same seems to happen with alu wheel nuts on track, they like to unwind themselves too, so I swapped them out with some stainless steel ones and threadlock and they've been fine.

As for the flutter, I get a little bit of flutter from high rev lift off but not like some are experiencing, at lower revs.

On track when really pushing on I have noticed a very small amount of fluid weeps from the charge traction fluid canister, it sometimes does it and sometimes does it, its a bit random, as it didn't do it for a while but seemed to weep a bit after the last time I checked the fluid. It was definitely tight but could be the way the seal sits, I might try getting a different rubber seal to see if that helps. We a talking a negligible amount of fluid though, as I have not had to top it up. Just due to the weight of the fluid it looks like its more than it actually is.

As I see that many wish to track their cars with the kit, I'd say an oil cooler is highly recommended if not mandatory to keep the temps down, a temp and pressure gauge is also useful to ensure you can keep an eye on high temps but also know when the oil is up to temp before giving it full beans.
On track sits nicely around the 100 degree C mark if I'm really pushing for a fair few laps it will goto around 120 degree c.

The one issue I have had on track since the charger and that is noise. I used to have a DMS cat back with a decat (remember them guys ), which was considered loud but had no issues even at Donington. As soon as the charger kit went on I was being black flagged at all the tracks I had previously passed on. I switched to a Milltek Single which is considered to be pretty quiet, but was still getting black flagged at Donington, Blyton and Silverstone, this was even with the additional Milltek noise reducer. (btw Cadwell Park is the place to go with a noisy exhaust as long as you pass the static, which is usually easy in our cars unless your exhaust is crazy loud.)

I spoke to Milltek about getting a custom exhaust made up but they weren't interested. So I asked a mate to make up an additional pipe to bolt on in between the noise reduce and the back section, which got me down to around 100db at Donington but was still too loud. I then put on a silenced decat, which got me to 99db.

Then in the end I went to Nouvalari who make custom exhausts for a lot of exoticas who used the same concept of the bolt on pipes I had used but longer as single section rather than multiple bolt on pipes. It sticks out quite a bit beyond the bumper but I only use it to get on track and the TDOs have never complained. The pipe diameter has been kept the same throughout to minimise restriction, but the key was to extend the rear pipe and baffled section and point it down. That's one advantage of the Milltek that you can change the tips so I'm able to just swap them over for track and road use.

Hope that helps a few people who are considering the HKS Kit. I'm still really pleased with mine and feel its the perfect power balance for the car when you need it.

Here's a few vids of me on track recently:

Silverstone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FhE88Zavec

Cadwell Park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHpS4v4OLvU
Cool, how did you get find Silverstone?

I took a mildly modded clio 172 and managed around 3:10 but didn't push it 100pc as wanted to make the 4 hour journey back home lol.

Not sure about the s but looks like you could have dropped down a gear. I know the corner before the home straight I could take it more or less full throttle, but I presume rwd the back end may kick out?

https://youtu.be/Bh4qrQXqlnQ

Last edited by s2konroids; 06-10-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Cool, how did you get find Silverstone?

I took a mildly modded clio 172 and managed around 3:10 but didn't push it 100pc as wanted to make the 4 hour journey back home lol.

Not sure about the s but looks like you could have dropped down a gear. I know the corner before the home straight I could take it more or less full throttle, but I presume rwd the back end may kick out?

https://youtu.be/Bh4qrQXqlnQ
Yeah really like it, I haven't been there in a long long time so was good to go back.

Yes I could have taken a lower gear and would have normally but since the morning started with fog which didn't clear up till 10.30 I then got black flagged on my first couple of laps. Which then had to drive a 3 hour round trip to get my other exhaust extension. I only just managed to get on track for a final session before the end of the day. So with no laps under my belt and the noise metre being on the pit straight I decided to short shift on the final corner and limit my revs on the straight.

A quick look at the laps I did manage to do, I managed a 2min37s
Old 06-10-2017, 11:11 PM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

That's some good insight Tron.

how did you find Nouvalari? Mine is booked in there in a few weeks. We're basically making a bigger bore version of my HKS but no resonator for now as i dont care about drone, just enlarging the silencers to keep the noise ok with the bigger pipe

also got an oil temp gauge coming..
Old 06-11-2017, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
That's some good insight Tron.

how did you find Nouvalari? Mine is booked in there in a few weeks. We're basically making a bigger bore version of my HKS but no resonator for now as i dont care about drone, just enlarging the silencers to keep the noise ok with the bigger pipe

also got an oil temp gauge coming..
You're welcome mate

I found them great to deal with, very efficient and informative, the quality of the welds etc were excellent.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I've not had any fluid leak from my reservoir, i did decide to use jubilee clips for those hoses though as I wasn't too keen on the clips provided.

One question though, does anyone know how to bleed the ABS at home as I got air in it, super long pedal even though I've rebuilt the master cylinder.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
I've not had any fluid leak from my reservoir, i did decide to use jubilee clips for those hoses though as I wasn't too keen on the clips provided.

One question though, does anyone know how to bleed the ABS at home as I got air in it, super long pedal even though I've rebuilt the master cylinder.
I struggled last time I did the rear calipers and ended up taking it to Honda. £50 to get the ABS actuated and got my firm pedal back was well worth it. Spent nearly that on fluid trying to get it bled myself!
Old 06-12-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Vacuum bleed is by far the best way to get air out of the system. If youve got a compressor or can borrow one then it makes it 10x easier to do and never fails to work for me. To reduce brake fluid loss during hose/caliper changes wedge the brake pedal half way down and the fluid wont leak, just make sure you dont leave it over night as the brake lights will flatten the battery.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

speaking from experience there mark? :P
I know a garage near me that can power bleed the system so will give that a shot, if not then i will go to honda.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:12 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

i guess it depends where the air is. I've had loads of calipers on and off and never had an issue bleeding it. If you have to mess about higher up in the system i can see how it might be harder.

Honda have never charged much to swap my fluid so it must be easy at their rates

Quick Reply: HKS SC kit topic