UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS SC kit topic

Old 05-24-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

yes i have the heat exchanger and a sandwich plate.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

wideband sensor has been changed, it is now staying on but bouncing all over the place between 12 and 16 afr. Will the new sensor need calibrating in the ecu, setting volts etc so it is in sync with what the gauge displays?

edit -

Turned car off took it off axle stands and when i turned it back on again afr is back to where it should be, idle is around 14

Last edited by Define198; 05-24-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Be careful, your running rich and could potentially kill your new sensor.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Dear all,
I do not know if between all this topics, there is a point in which some basic questions for an interested new user are answered. So, excuse me, if I do some repeated questions.
I'm interested in HKS turbo kit. I need some basic information based on guys' experience, who installed it
1) do I need to do some modification to my car?
2) Is it plug and play?
3) I already have hondata, do I need something else, as reported on HKS forum?
4) Do I need to update my clutch?
5) What's about durability?
6) What are the most common problems with this kit? I read something about temperature, for example?
7) My car has 87000 miles, do you think I should change other engine parts to support new Hp, for example cranck pulley, pistons?
8) Do I need some addictional instrument inside the cockpit? Oil temperature, boost pressure or something like that?
9) Are there other possible good alternative to HKS? On this forum I read about SOS, for example.
10) If I remain with stock exhaust, header and an HFC, how many hp could I gain? Do torque and power curve remain the same as the original car? I'd like to mantain the original spirit of my car.

Thanks to all

Massimo
Old 05-25-2017, 02:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake_s2k
Dear all,
I do not know if between all this topics, there is a point in which some basic questions for an interested new user are answered. So, excuse me, if I do some repeated questions.
I'm interested in HKS turbo kit. I need some basic information based on guys' experience, who installed it
1) do I need to do some modification to my car?
2) Is it plug and play?
3) I already have hondata, do I need something else, as reported on HKS forum?
4) Do I need to update my clutch?
5) What's about durability?
6) What are the most common problems with this kit? I read something about temperature, for example?
7) My car has 87000 miles, do you think I should change other engine parts to support new Hp, for example cranck pulley, pistons?
8) Do I need some addictional instrument inside the cockpit? Oil temperature, boost pressure or something like that?
9) Are there other possible good alternative to HKS? On this forum I read about SOS, for example.
10) If I remain with stock exhaust, header and an HFC, how many hp could I gain? Do torque and power curve remain the same as the original car? I'd like to mantain the original spirit of my car.

Thanks to all

Massimo
1)The kit can be bolted straight onto the car as long as you have some sort of after market ecu, aem or hondata etc.

2)Pretty much plug and play some trim has to be cut, under tray and wheel arch trims

3)If you have hondata you will be ok, but will obviously need the car remapping.

4)You dont need to, but it is recommended especially if you are running the kit with the fuel upgrade which increases the power, some others have got away with the standard clutch but i swapped my for oem clutch disc and ACT HD pressure plate, oem bearings.

5)Car should last pretty much as long as a standard car as long as it has been mapped and the car has not been abused.

6)I have a issue with the temperature, but it is not a common issue, it is specific to my car possibly due to the way it has been mapped. The blow off valve is a issue for some(myself included) and i would recommend upgrading it, around £200. other issue is the belts that hks supply dont seem to last very long and slip, but this is quite common with all superchargers.

7)As long as the engine is healthy you will be fine.

8)A wideband gauge is recommended at a minimum, if price is not a problem i would of also got a boost gauge(so you can easily see when you get belt slip) and oil pressure and oil temp gauges.

9)A few alternatives, most of them more expensive, TTS, SOS etc.

10) With the fuel upgrade kit cars seem to make between 320 and 335 at the wheels, power delivery is very similar to the N/A car.

Last edited by Define198; 05-25-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:44 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

First off its a super charger not a turbo charger

1) do I need to do some modification to my car? Small modifications to the under strays. You don't need to cut any metal.
2) Is it plug and play? Yes
3) I already have hondata, do I need something else, as reported on HKS forum? Not sure i have an AEM
4) Do I need to update my clutch? No
5) What's about durability? not had it long enough to comment
6) What are the most common problems with this kit? I read something about temperature, for example? No overheating problems, that is one member and its believed to be down to bad mapping. I had issues with the BOV so ugraded to a Tial
7) My car has 87000 miles, do you think I should change other engine parts to support new Hp, for example cranck pulley, pistons? No
8) Do I need some addictional instrument inside the cockpit? Oil temperature, boost pressure or something like that? Don't need, personal preference. Should think about it if you are tracking the car
9) Are there other possible good alternative to HKS? On this forum I read about SOS, for example. Yes of course there are. The other big kit in the uk is TTS
10) If I remain with stock exhaust, header and an HFC, how many hp could I gain? Do torque and power curve remain the same as the original car? I'd like to mantain the original spirit of my car. around 320whp
Old 05-25-2017, 05:09 AM

So is no one running an engine torque damper with this kit?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

To be honest mate i replaced my mounts with vibratec a few months before fitting the kit and i didn't even notice any difference with my Ingalls torque damper removed. Aslong as your engine mounts are in good shape you cant go wrong
Old 05-25-2017, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by markforrester99
To be honest mate i replaced my mounts with vibratec a few months before fitting the kit and i didn't even notice any difference with my Ingalls torque damper removed. Aslong as your engine mounts are in good shape you cant go wrong
This is my other option but I've had harder engine mounts on another car and it absolutely ruined it. So much vibration in the cabin. How is yours with the vibratec mounts
Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
This is my other option but I've had harder engine mounts on another car and it absolutely ruined it. So much vibration in the cabin. How is yours with the vibratec mounts
I've got Spoon engine mounts and it's like sitting on a tumble dryer with a breeze block in it on spin. But mine is not a road car much anymore so it's part of the compromise

Quick Reply: HKS SC kit topic