UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HKS SC kit topic

Old 04-19-2017, 01:47 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
But when you get some mincer lording it up in his Cayman/Boxster/F-Type sort of cars, trying it on with you, it's incredibly satisfying putting them in their place in your 10+ y/o S2
I don't really understand that sort of mentality, but OK
Old 04-19-2017, 01:48 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
All the problems people seem to have with these kits don't look like fun in any way at all.
The only hassle i think most of us have had is the dump vale / flutter issue. If HKS were honest and said upfront that the valve wasn't big enough when not using their restriction plates then we would never of have an "issue". To me a quick change over to a bigger BOV wasn't an issue i just wish the communication between us and HKS was better.

As for the belt slip i think this must just be down to insufficient tension as I've not had the issue. It could also happen on any SC Kit.

I would still recommend this kit to others wanting to buy a SC kit. Yes it doesn't produce the power other kits do but it doesn't affect the cars handling as much as others. I like it and would buy it again at its current price if i was looking again.
The following users liked this post:
Bodyboarder1981 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
All the problems people seem to have with these kits don't look like fun in any way at all.
If you are willing to get hands dirty then they are good kits but if you pay for install and expect to never touch it again you are in for a nasty surprise! Mine has been problem free really apart from methanol issues but that's my fault not HKS's. HKS kit is pretty sturdy with the main Mount being made out of steel. Should have no issues with cracking or breaking.

Apart from one belt issue on installation I have never tightened mine or had any slip but I used the hks belt that was super tight to fit but that's how it should be.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I should clarify, it's not just the HKS kit, it applies to the TTS (and all turbo installations as well).

It just seems a load of hassle, and as anyone knows, I hate getting my hands dirty
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Agree with ^^^^. But can we keep this thread about the HKS kit for future reference.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:00 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Also people need to factor in the stress the flutter puts on the supercharger drive and belt system. This has probably worn out your belts as they will slip when the charger fluttered
Old 04-19-2017, 02:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

As mentioned, the only "Issues" I believe that came from the HKS kit was the BOV and some belt slip.

1) Belt slip could happen on any kit, but could have been better communicated from HKS about correct belt.
2) As per Har-vey's comments, the "Flutter" thread would have stopped at page 2 had HKS held their hands up and said you need to invest in a bigger BOV.

So if you do get the kit, make sure to include the cost of a bigger BOV and either an adapter or new bit of hose to fit it all together.

I guess at the time I bought it, it was a lot cheaper than it is now, but for £8-£9K, I think I would personally look at investing in another car / toy.

All down to personal opinion really.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:21 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Define198
mine was exactly the same, and lasted maybe 1 month before it needed tightening, and you have no adjustment left due to the bolt, thereby needing a new belt.

in fact i ended up with a black mark on the edge of the bolt when it started to slip where it started to slightly rub the bolt
I will keep an eye on it but mine had already stretched from previous use so I am hoping it wont keep stretching now.

Interestingly though Chris said the pulley on the engine is 6 ribs and the pulley on the charger is 8 ribs, so he said it may pay to get an 8 ribbed pulley for the engine side to run a wider belt.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:23 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-T
As mentioned, the only "Issues" I believe that came from the HKS kit was the BOV and some belt slip.

1) Belt slip could happen on any kit, but could have been better communicated from HKS about correct belt.
2) As per Har-vey's comments, the "Flutter" thread would have stopped at page 2 had HKS held their hands up and said you need to invest in a bigger BOV.

So if you do get the kit, make sure to include the cost of a bigger BOV and either an adapter or new bit of hose to fit it all together.

I guess at the time I bought it, it was a lot cheaper than it is now, but for £8-£9K, I think I would personally look at investing in another car / toy.

All down to personal opinion really.

Again, my car has no flutter and BOV works perfectly so to me the BOV is either an issue with your cars or I just got lucky..?
Old 04-19-2017, 02:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
Again, my car has no flutter and BOV works perfectly so to me the BOV is either an issue with your cars or I just got lucky..?
I guess you got lucky! There were I believe 5 (Possibly 6) confirmed flutter cars, with varying mods, mapped at different palces and all solved with BOV.
Guess no-one would have minded, had we just been told that the BOV was likely to be insufficient and would require a larger one.

Quick Reply: HKS SC kit topic